Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Highfeed cutters

Quickmike

Yesterday we tried a new highfeed cutter with the trigon shaped inserts. It was very impressive.

2 inch cutter 4 flute

1000 rpm = about 500 sfm

160 ipm = about .04 per tooth

.04 stepdown

1.4 stepover

Material 1018 crs

1995 Haas VF-6

Has anyone else been using this style of cutter?

The 1018 is pretty soft and easy to cut. I'm hoping to try it out on some A-2 in the future.

Quickmike you should be up at like 900 sfm on a cutter like that easy. I use to cut 4 in thick A-36 with a 4" facemill at 900 sfm taking .150 depth of cut 75% to 100% ingaged all day long with a Mil-Tec face mill. I use to finsh at 1200 to 1350 SFM with that same cutter. I can hear the people scream from across the country now. I look at it this way if you sepnd 13 dollars an insert with 8 sides and you have 6 inserets it is costing you $9.75 a side to use those inserts. If you poke along at half the speed trying to save inserts how much time have you added. If you knock on average 30 to 60 minutes off of a job and get the normal shop rate of $60 dollars an hour you just made $30 to $60 dollars on that $9.75 worht of inserts on the same part and job but you really made double that casue now you are that much quicker on to the next job. Just my 2 cents worth on things.

Crazy Millman