Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Matsuura H Plus 405

Just got a quote on one with a 6 pallet changer. A little information we currently have 7 horizontals all Enshu which have been great machines. But we run 1 person per machine. (not very efficient to say the least). I'm trying to talk the powers that be that we need to try and automate the processes as much as possible. I'm wanting to know if anyone has experience after they put one in, the savings that were realized. We are a job shop and run a big mix of materials and quantities and I'm not sure how well a pallet changer works with a low volume high mix scenario. Just trying to get information on real world examples I guess. Any information is appreciated.

6 pallet pool or scale able cell?

was involved in a 630 pallet pool and we were able to automate a little but had some limitations, never got it fully lights out. it was in job shop like you described. what is your volume on orders (10 parts? 100 parts?) also cycle times would make a difference. visualize what kind of unattended run time you can actually get. cell system is a bit more expensive but if you can amortize free cycle time gained ROI can be great.

get it loaded with options and 100 plus tool matrix.

just some thoughts to ponder. they are very nice machines but if you cheap out you will miss the full potential.

Doug

Multi-pallet machines are great. You definitely want to maximize the numbers of parts on the pallet. If for no other reason, you want to be able to get unmanned time out of it. also, you want to (if humanly possible) get complete parts on every cycle. So lets say you have 30 parts on a face. those parts need 2 ops. so face 1 has 30 OP01 parts face 2 has 30 OP02 parts. Now, you could put a different part on the other 2 faces, or you could douple up the other stuff.

With the Matsuura, you have the ability to turn faces on and off with the press of a button. Savings... hard to quantity with the infomation you provided. You can definitely get more hours per day out of one of those machines. You can get more than 2 pallets unattended. If you could get 7 hours worth of work ona single pallet, you can run through the weekend. Chip conveyors are mandatory. A solid coolant management program is necessart.

I'd reccommend you call your Machine Tool dealer and have them bring in an Applications Engineer to discuss the possibilities and come up with a strategy to maximize efficiency to get the most out of your proposed pallet system.

HTH

Some things that may help you on the logistics end of the tool magazine (you may already do this but I always like to throw it out there anyway just in case)

Build yourself a tool library in your CAM System. Tool #1 is always this, Tool #20 is always that, etc... That gives you that ability to easily use the same tools on different jobs, or at least whenever you can. Matsuura has a Tool Check built in (you have ot enable it in the Pallet Scheduler MACRO) so lets say you have 4 jobs attached to the 4 faces. If there'a a problem with the tool on one of the faces, it will run the faces it can. It's really a nice, simple to use, straight forward pallet management system on that machine.

I often go train at customers and it's funny, I try to teach some of the higher-end functions on the machine and it's like there's not much interest in using them (Tool LIfe Management, Parts Counters, etc...).

I often go train at customers and it's funny, I try to teach some of the higher-end functions on the machine and it's like there's not much interest in using them (Tool LIfe Management, Parts Counters, etc...).

That's because they either don't understand the benefits or they don't care. After all, the hourly guys usually have little stake in the game.

Mike

That's because they either don't understand the benefits or they don't care. After all, the hourly guys usually have little stake in the game.

Mike

how true and meanwhile the boss is yelling just get that job done. they want to see immediate results rather than invest 2 minutes to save 10 down the road (yes you have to multiply the minute savings times 365 days a year before the dollar value has enough zero's to catch there attention). but it does add up.