Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread milling first time.

IMO the best solution I have seen for threadmilling and we do a lot of it here.. and I have seen lots of ways to make the code etc.. is to use vardex threadmills and download their TM GEN program from their website.. it lets you choose material and depth of hole then provides a list of optimum tooling, and creates an incremental sub that can be used to do the actual threadmilling, I just tag the sub onto the end of my program as a manual entry and then make an extra drill sub that I remove the canned cycle and then call the sub at each location..

The thing I like about it is it takes multiple passes and it does an entry and exit arc in and out with a reduced feed on the entry arc which is a lot kinder to the threadmills..

You can also use circle mill in mastercam to generate the code and use different threadmill manufacturers but honestly using the vardex tools and software has worked so good for us I cant see why to do it any other way at this point.. case in point.. 2-56 holes .. were getting over 1500 holes in 15-5PH stainless.. how can you argue with that..

Never had an issue threadmilling using the Mastercam routine

not really difficult

If you are using a single point, make sure you place 1 in the hiw many teeth box

If you're using a multi-flute, just make sure you place the number of engaged teeth in the box.

an internal thread being climb milled will work bottom to top and an external will be top to bottom

In many cases working bottom up while different causes no issues

Speeds & Feeds, for the most part, treat it like you're using an endmill. Many people think they need to use the same speed and feed combination as tapping, you do not, milling feedrates apply