Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Difference in Fanuc controls

We're getting a new VMC, and I'm pretty sure the control options are 0m, 21M and 32i.

Already have the 0m, and I pretty much know the limits of that control (I think),but I'm mainly wondering if there is a huge difference between the 21m and 32i.

Pros? Cons?

We are a job shop, modest amount of HSM and some 3d surfacing here and there, and this machine will have a programmable 4th axis.

Can the 0 handle the 4th axis? Is the 21m and the 32i THAT much better?

Thanks.

If its a 0iMD then it can handle the 4th. If it's a O MATE, then I don't think it can.

I really don't think there is any difference between the 0iMD or the 21 but the 32 should be way faster processing and more options. It may also have Alpha drives and servos rather than the Beta which is the norm on the other controls.

But you need to tie down the MTB to understand what he's offering you.

BTW - the AICC should be a huge difference between 1 and 10. But I bet your parameter isn't set to read it?

If its a 0iMD then it can handle the 4th. If it's a O MATE, then I don't think it can.

I really don't think there is any difference between the 0iMD or the 21 but the 32 should be way faster processing and more options. It may also have Alpha drives and servos rather than the Beta which is the norm on the other controls.

But you need to tie down the MTB to understand what he's offering you.

BTW - the AICC should be a huge difference between 1 and 10. But I bet your parameter isn't set to read it?

Just double checked, our current control is the 0imc.

I kinda figured that the 32i was a faster processor but wasn't sure.

As for the AICC and parameter being set to read it, I'm not sure how to set it or even check it, but the AICC is blinking when I activate it.

Here is a snippet of the code:

G00G90G54X1.5486Y1.5415S7640M03

G49

G94

G05.1Q1

G43H4Z2.

As far as I know, that's all I need to do right?

You tried giving it a "G54.1 Q1 R10" and it didn't error? Our oldest machine will error if it sees that R #.

Am I supposed to use an R value? The AICC is new to me and I have no frame of reference to use to see if I'm using it right.

All I've used is G54.1 Q1 where the Q is 1 thru 10.

Scratch that, Yes I use an R 1 thru 10. my bad.

G49

G94

G05.1Q1R5

G43H4Z2.

T5

Soooooo, I dug out the yellow books and had a play this afty.

If you look in your parameter book B-64120EN/01 page 387.

Parameters 136000 onwards was what I was thinking, and parameter 13634 is the value that you set in the machine - 1= rough, 10 = accurate.

But.. we just run G05.1 Q1 in our prog call for all tools. We don't have the R value set. And we have previously servo tuned the 1768 and 1769 (acc/dec before and after interpolation in AI mode).

And the machines run sweet.

So I play with 13634 and make a test prog milling a square. CMM it and rad size is right with setting at 1 (rough).

Repeat with setting on 10 and no difference.

Change some of the 136000 parameters to real crazy figures and run the prog cutting air and no difference.

So as a conclusion, I cannot see how the 136000 parameters get activated?

Or they only do if the prog calls G05.1Q1 R#, where the R# is the activation call.

And because we don't run the R call, the lower number parameters (1768/1769) are activated and used instead?

Perhaps?

If you have any problems running as you are, there's a thread on practical machinist I wrote about fooking around with the 0imc control Just search G05 or G08 or something like that and it will come up.

:cheers:

Soooooo, I dug out the yellow books and had a play this afty.

If you look in your parameter book B-64120EN/01 page 387.

Parameters 136000 onwards was what I was thinking, and parameter 13634 is the value that you set in the machine - 1= rough, 10 = accurate.

But.. we just run G05.1 Q1 in our prog call for all tools. We don't have the R value set. And we have previously servo tuned the 1768 and 1769 (acc/dec before and after interpolation in AI mode).

And the machines run sweet.

So I play with 13634 and make a test prog milling a square. CMM it and rad size is right with setting at 1 (rough).

Repeat with setting on 10 and no difference.

Change some of the 136000 parameters to real crazy figures and run the prog cutting air and no difference.

So as a conclusion, I cannot see how the 136000 parameters get activated?

Or they only do if the prog calls G05.1Q1 R#, where the R# is the activation call.

And because we don't run the R call, the lower number parameters (1768/1769) are activated and used instead?

Perhaps?

If you have any problems running as you are, there's a thread on practical machinist I wrote about fooking around with the 0imc control Just search G05 or G08 or something like that and it will come up.

:cheers:

Thanks!

Yes I would think that the parameter changes based on whatever R value you enter, and it stays that until a different R value is read.

Heading to Practical Machinist forum now.

We're getting a new VMC, and I'm pretty sure the control options are 0m, 21M and 32i.

Already have the 0m, and I pretty much know the limits of that control (I think),but I'm mainly wondering if there is a huge difference between the 21m and 32i.

There are some SIGNIFICANT differences from MANY perspectives. Available options, processing speed capability, number of controllable axes, etc... Rather than bore you with all the details, go to http://www.fanuc.co....alog/index.html and download the applicable PDF's and read for yourself. If I were writing the check I would buy a 30 series (30, 31, 32 or 35) control if it were available, even if I had to wait for it.

Pros?
30 series - Faster all the way around, more options available, more controllable axes, etc...

Cons?
30 series - more $$$

We are a job shop, modest amount of HSM and some 3d surfacing here and there, and this machine will have a programmable 4th axis.

Can the 0 handle the 4th axis?

It can, but... it's going to be slower than the 30 series. There's a reason FANUC puts 31i-A5's on it's Robodrills and not Oi's

Is the 21m and the 32i THAT much better?
Without a doubt they are THAT much better. I would not even consider a 21i a viable control. It has been discontinued for years. It's not a bad control, it's just limited and there is not nor will there ever be any further development on it. The 30 series is the present and future of FANUC controls. The Oi controls are going away soon as well. Now, before you get any ideas about it going away next year, "soon" is a relative term and in terms of controls, soon could be 5 years or less.

JM2CFWIW