Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trocoidal milling

Jon Guck

Is Mastercam working on anything to support

trocoidal milling?Or is there something already in place.

This type of milling pattern is used often

in hard to machine materials,like titanium,and stainless.The endmill actually

spirals forward into the material.

I've seen this cycle offered in other packages.

[This message has been edited by Jon Guck (edited 03-19-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point to have even pressure on the cutting tool especially in the tougher materials like the High-Nickel, Cobalt Alloys? If there were no linear moves in the toolpath, the tool would be entering and exiting the material in an interrupted manner right?

------------------

James Meyette ;)

• 1 year later...

Glen - thanks for listing the parameters you are using (speed, feed ,loop length, etc). I will use this info as a starting point for our applications. Parameters for trochoidal milling are very hard to find from machine manufacturers and tool suppliers.

We wish to use this technique for milling harder materials (50-58 Rc). Do you or anyone else have recomendations? We have a Mikron HSM with 42,000 RPM spindle. We are cutting S7, H13, M2, and 420SS mostly.

Thanks

My application was cutting a slot with one pass. The loop radius would be slot width - tool dia / 2

Trial&Error is the best teacher.

Since Trochoidal cutting is not available in contour I had to remove a pass from a pocketing pass.

High speed machining is all about light cuts.

The advantage of trochoidal is that you take light cuts and still utilize the full length of the endmill and not just the tip.

[ 06-12-2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Bouman, In-House ]