Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath selection help

gms1

I need some help figuring out what to do to cut this part I have. It is a 6-3/4 pipe with 3/4 inch wall thickness. The file I have uploaded to the ftp is tube-end.mc8.

What I am trying to do is cut the orange surface, which is a 3.44 rad. around the inner diameter so that im not cutting air constantly. I tried a radial toolpath but that takes longer to cut then the .125 step down contour method. I am using a 1.385 ballnose HSS mill. I know there is a better way though and I cant see it. Any suggestions?

I am using v8.1.1

Thanks in advance

Greg

[ 10-02-2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: gms1 ]

Hi Greg, Sorry for the delay, I started working on it on V9 and wanted to save it to V8 but couldn't save the toolpaths I had put on so redo it all. What I did is trim the orange surface and made 3 finish parallel but each of them have diff. depth limits. It's not the most efficient toolpath ever seen but in this case , I think it's appreciable. Have a look at it and let me know.HTH! TUBE-END-SIMON.mc8

Simon

Thanks Jean for the reply.

I sent the file to my reseller as well (Axsys). The guys there came up with splitting the surface vertical with overlap on the top center. I Used finish contour toolpath down both sides, worked like a champ! Cut the est. cycle time from 1hour 8 minutes to 25 minutes. Made the boss real happy. smile.gif Thanks again Jean, and thank you Axsys.

Greg