Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Needed post okuma lathe with live tooling

Chris Parish

Hello:

We are a Mastercam reseller(Western New York). I have asked CNC software about this post ... It is approximately around $3000 (800 - 1000 per axis).

On the CD is a fanuc lathe with live tooling for lathe but the okuma post only has 2 axis with canned cycle support (No live tooling)

If any one has one that works. We are will to purchase it. This (potential)customer has 4 other Okuma lathes as well (even one with a steady rest).

Otherwise we will lose the sale to "Gibbs" (smiling Bill).

Thanks for listening

Well from what I rememver about the Okuma's I have ran they are a Fanuc style format. I woudl suggest that you did what I have done modify it and learn post mods like I have. I a non-trained person took a genroc fanuc 5th axis post and made it works on a Thermwood 5 axis router pretty darn good. If you got soemone who want to go to the darkside over a post then ask them to go to the open web site Gibbs has. I have used Gibbs and Mastercam blows it out of the water Hands down.

I wish you luck in your quest but being a reseller either need to learn post creation or Modifications or hire the right person to do it.

Crazy Millman

Mill man:

I have ben writing post for Mastercam for 8 years with Optipro systems as a reseller. okuma canned cycles aren't even close to that of an fanuc canned cycle... However.. I must have it activate top turret, bottom turret, live tooling (one has this on both spindles). Unfortunately, Mastercam has nothing to offer in this department. How is that possible... It not like Okuma develped live tooling lathes just yesterday.

Now I would have to take a fanuc post, rip out the fanuc canned cycles, add the okuma canned cycles into it and then hope the live tooling portion is close (knowing the okuma does not use G107 / G112) options for live tooling. Not only that but you have a "g-code" callup as to what turret you are defining for an okuma.

Why re-invent the wheel when someone has been looked into this before. Just looking for some guidance....

Thanks

Check on your CD. There is MPLOSP7C, which is an Okuma OSP7000L control with C axis support. Is that what you are after?

I just tested it, and it certainly supports Mill Turn. Make sure you install the extra post processors, and it will be there.

Regards,

Mick

Yes that is correct...but no canned cyle output... It does it through the misc. integers like old school days of Mastercam lathe..

Now rewrite it from mplosp7c and add canned cycles from mploukma -- Mastercam outta get that cleaned them selves... (if it's the captains mess let him clean it up)

Well, it would work. I must admit though, that the Misc. Reals method of setting up the LAP cycles is kind of flakey.

I'd really like to see those Okuma posts updated, so that that perhaps you have a checkbox with "Use LAP Cycles" and then, the post reads the info off the parameter page for depth of cut/stock etc and then puts that information in the LAP line(s) where appropriate. Like G82 (Facing). I dont think that even works properly.

I'd be willing to beta test any post development for that smile.gif

I had posts I tweaked for the OSP2200/OSP3000 controls, and they were pretty close, but never perfect.

Cheers,

Mick

I do agree ... It's a lot of work for a cnc lathe that is out there all over the place

Okuma just bought into "DELCAM" for the E-100 L and the "U" series controls to have the graphical interface done by them to help aid in writing a conversational format at the control.... I just got back froma tool show where they were illustarting it on a simulatyor control.

However, it doesn't look very good that (I'm sure other other CAM softwares have a cleaned up post for an okuma) but Mastercam doesn't ... I believe were all in this together to help each other out but this is rediculous that it doesn't exist

What's "MATSS" product going to look like when it is released from Mastercam - a product with no post to support it

Not trying to be an xxxx here but you asked for this frist:

quote:

On the CD is a fanuc lathe with live tooling for lathe but the okuma post only has 2 axis with canned cycle support (No live tooling)

and then Mick give you tihs for an answer:

quote:

There is MPLOSP7C, which is an Okuma OSP7000L control with C axis support. Is that what you are after?

I just tested it, and it certainly supports Mill Turn.

but know you really wanted this also:

quote:

add the okuma canned cycles into it and then hope the live tooling portion is close (knowing the okuma does not use G107 / G112) options for live tooling. Not only that but you have a "g-code" callup as to what turret you are defining for an okuma.

I am sorry sir if you took my critism the wrong way, but I would think if you were able to get the proper code from the customer or Okuma themselves you could modify the Fanuc canned cycles to work in the confrigation you need. I am sorry if I seem like it is no big deal but I was faced with this very situtation with the Thermwood and they wanted $2500 dollars for the post for it and I am curennetly looking at some 5 axis machines and they want $2000 and up for a post processor to go along with the machine. I think it has to be somewhat of the nature of the beast. You want the sell it that bad then you agree to pay half for the processor or something.

I again hope you find what you are looking for if you can find it anywhere this would be the best place I could think of. If I was doing lathe work and had the seat I would love to just play with it and wouldn't charge anything to do it for you as long as I could keep a copy of what I did.

Crazy Millman

• Like 1

mill man:

They have 13 posts needed for all machines (mill / lathe / wire). I have to teach them to run a fanuc lathe post this way (icons for canned cycles)

Mplokuma can run the canned cycles the same way...

Now if they want to run live tooling, use mplosp7c...

Now if they want canned cycle and live tooling ...

One must clean up the post for canned cycles thru icons and live tooling is a total re-write (from one of the okuma posts) --- Take it a step further they have 2 turrets on the same machine (top and bottom -- now I have to add logic from a third post ((mplfan)) that has this logic. This sure seems like a lot of work When Gibbs, Espirit and (edgecam - no out of it) have post developed with pretty clean output of g-code.

I am just looking for someone that I'm sure has done this -- Why re-invent the wheel

As for the thermwood, I wish I knew you then... We have many customers running MCAM and a thermwood (wood / ceramic/ plastic ... etc)... Thermwood even has a post division inside of them for MCAM and thermwood -- Or Bill Elliot (Northwood Design)is a GOD when it comes to MCAM and thermwood post processors

The MPLOSP7C post appears to support top and bottom turrets, (G13/G14 codes) in the post.

The code is certainly in the post, and I would assume that the correct code is output based on the tool information.

I'll check this out later on.

Cheers,

Mick

Yeah Thremwood even teach there own 40 hour class on 5th axis programming and use of their machine in this application using Mastercam. I had to do it all on my own. The company I was working for wouldn't foot the bill for me to learn it so I did it all my self right down to the 101-106 and 301-306 tool difference. I did finally get a post that was good for both and would allow you to output different tangancey factors when doing simple 5th axis toolpaths to the very complex that required more of a tanganceny factor within the same posted program. I also like how they incorpated the 5th axis cicle macros into the post we demoed but again $2500 dollars was too much for them to spend.

I think you will find some very sharp guys on here I wish I was closer would just love to be in that shop doing the mulitaxis work I thrive on the challage of it all.

Crazy Millman

PS: If you do get a good working one then you can sell it and make money for you time getting it to work right.

[ 10-03-2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

CParish

Just to let you know, I looked for this a few months ago and didn't get very far. Steve Biehl at Services 4 Automation said he'd write me one but we never really pursued it because we later found that our machine wasn't capable as optioned anyway. If your customer has CX contouring and coordinate conversion I think that the Fanuc mi4-type conversion would work. If they don't have coordinate conversion but they do have CX contouring I would suggest they buy the coord conversion software upgrade because it is short money and allows X,Y inputs (the Fanuc uses X,C but really means X,Y).

I know that this doesn't answer your question, I'm just trying to offer some info.

I also have a Fanuc post that supports the ram turret on my Hardinge using upper / lower turret settings in Mastercam so I think that Okuma adaptation to get G13 / G14 for this probably wouldn't be too bad.

Good luck with the P-codes

C