Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix cutting

Robert Ouellette

i have a feeder screw I have to cut but it is made from Hasteloy and the cutter I have to work with is noncenter cutting. how do I program it to cut using the leading edge of the cutter? I was able to draw the part in solids and I have the front and rear of the helix drawn as angled lines. now I just need some help with the programing of it. if my cutter was center cutting I could program it, I have cut a similar part in 316ss a couple of years ago. but now the cutter I am using is a 2fl 5/8 inserted endmill with 1/8" rad inserts.

thank in advance

What John said or Vector lines where you can control the tool exactly like you want. In that Material Might think about a 5 flute tool. That 2 Flute tool is going to take a beating and be hard to break up the harmonics that a 5 flute tool will be better at. I also do not get you are stuck with part. You get what you need to do the job IMHO, not get the job and then try to make what you got work will lose money every time with that kind of method. Good luck in your process, but I would strongly consder getting the right tool for the job and not fighting your way through it. There was this thread in the Educational see if it gives you some ideas. http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=75540entry898220

worm_machining_1_zps58ff8226.png

worm_machining_2_zps67cc301d.png