Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 tool library issue

Rick46

first I used the search function and could not find the answer I was looking for..

Our company has finally started installing x7 on a few computers to start using and identifying any problems. First and biggest problem we have is with the tool library. our tool library's from x6 with the tools-x6 extension were not updated and imported. all that resides in our tools folder are toolsdb files which I have never used and don't know what they are really for. Is this a bug ? and is there a fix. the tools db files that did update have only a few tools in them that did update. and are missing the hundreds other tools. Is this a new format that x7 is going to instead of the old file extensions. If so how can I convert my x6 library's and import them into x7??

what is the purpose of the toolsdb file versus the standard tools-x6 file or X7 versions of these files..I assume its a database file but not sure what its used for. I have never messed with it.

second questions I have a custom mastercam tool bar and also a custom mastercam config file ( copied the originals into a separate folder for backup reasons) . I copied it into the x7 directories and it seems to work fine. I was just wondering is this ok to do or will I lose important functions. I never have figured out why these files have never updated with new versions of MC releases.

unrelated question. I don't have much use for the hsm paths because of the work I do, but when I do get the chance I get the error operations not found in your default ops file ( something to that extent) but then when I click ok they pop up and work.. It does this in X6 and still does in X7. I have looked at the op library's and the hsm ops are there but still get the above error when I try and use them..

thanks in advance.

Rick is there was not a troll taking our comments and posting them to the world calling us stupid idiots for using Mastercam I might have had more to say, but get sick and tired of my help getting turned into how stupid I am for using the tool I have to use to make a living from. It is like telling a Plummer he is an idiot for using a pipe wrench from the Stanley tool company to do his job. No you must use this tool if you don't then you are a disgrace to the world because you will not call the owner of and all the employees of Stanley Tool out and tell him his tool is terrible because that person cannot operate it correctly. I have seen my comments trying to help other get tidbits taken out anf turned into negative things. Has Called my friends by name out which is morally and professional insane. Yet wants to keep claiming because he thinks he is helping the industry we all should be us stupid as him. When in all reality has probably done more ot help sales than anyone person so I guess they welcome the person crying wolf.

Wow I did not know that was going on..I hope this persons foolishness dosent ruin this great group of people that have come to gather over the years and help others by sharing there knowledge and helpful tips when using in my opinion your one stop cad cam package that can be the money maker in the machine dept of a company..

I had issues with my tool library too. What ended up working for me was...Open the new Tool Manager. Create a New Tool Library.tooldb. Close Tool Manger. In MCX7 open Toolpaths/Tool Manager. Select Old Tool Library.Tool-6. Copy all tools into the ( Part ) Library. Open New Tool Library.tooldb Copy all tools from the (Part) Library into your New Library.tooldb. This worked for around 90% of my tools. For whatever reason, some of them just didn't work and for the 1st few weeks I was getting errors. It's not perfect, but redefining 50-60 tools was much better than 500-600. Also I'm pretty dam good with the Tool Manager now. :ice:

Now if someone could tell me how to add Cobalt to the "tool material" field, I would be very greatful :unworthy: