Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Nethasp and Mastercam configuration files

dan.w

Hi Everyone,

If you are looking for something cool to do with mastercam go to the next post. I did a search and I couldn't find a solution to this so I’ll throw this out there;

We are considering converting over to Nethasps within our organization. We have a location that already has a license server running so we had users test the connection. Everything went smooth and we didn’t see a single issue.

One of the testers was already on a nethasp so all he did was change the nethasp.ini file.

The other person had a hard hasp and it caused a huge headache.

After the testing I think the user ran the nethasp.exe utility and selected Hasp. He started Mastercam again and it fired right up. I thought everything was fine – now I found out that all of his user settings changed?

At first I thought there was no way – the nethasp.ini file only has the connection settings. I started digging and I saw that some of the stuff is stored in the registry. So today I conducted a little experiment. I changed one of the registry settings for the shared directory and reverted to a standard hasp. I opened up the directory I created for the test and inside was a file - mcamx.config. I looked at the registry value and it had returned to the default folder for shared documents??

I guess they were right – changing back and forth between a hasp to a nethasp can have some unexpected changes. I’m not sure what his settings were before the test, but I definitely didn’t consider this as a potential problem.

Has anyone else run into this? Any recommendations on making the conversion smoother next time, or knowledge of what changes when running the nethasp.exe utility.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Thank you for the confirmation Jay – I don’t see how changing the licensing could ever change a setting.

Sorry – long week and I might have not phrased the issue very well. I’m not a network admin but I’m being forced to act as one right now – and I had a bunch of people jumping on me for a mistake I don’t think I made. I did find in the documentation about the Nethasp.exe writing to the registry. I’ve used and watch it change the registry values. I did not see it change the User file locations as I had first thought. I too am having a hard time believing changing licensing can change any other settings.

That said I did see something weird – I have X6 and X7 loaded on this machine. I went in and changed the default file locations for the X6 user files to a temp folder – When I started Mastercam X6 and closed it – the registry values reverted to the original paths, and it recreated all of the default folders in the temp folder I had created. I know this is how you can mimic a fresh install by wiping out the registry values, but in this instance I changed only one value.

In my user's situation - The only thing I can think is he had the default directory on a mapped drive somewhere and this changed – unlikely, or he was logged on as someone and he couldn't find his configuration files?

At this point I’m not that concerned. I didn't see what happened and so I’ll never know the whole story. I can’t recreate the entire situation because my local hasp isn’t currently up on maintenance. I did see that X7 has an additional registry value that didn’t exist in X6.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever seen or heard of anything like this?

Last question for those working in multi-user environments. If you have to rebuild a computer for someone – do you just install Mastercam and copy the config files to keep things simple – and keep their screen colors correct?