Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis help

mikeec

Hi. I am looking for some help with a part I am trying to machine on our haas 5 axis machine. I attached the mcx7 file to help see what im talking about.

Having trouble finishing the bottom floors and ribs of this part. How would you do it and could you show me an example. If you open the file and look at the stock model (op22) will show the part machined up to the point where I would need to finish the floors and ribs. Below that op was an attempt at doing a scallop and converting to 5ax. Problem is the fillet radius rolls from a .25 to a .19 when transitioning to the middle ribs. Im assuming this must be surfaced to achieve this.

I have been in contact with the local mastercam support guy but he has been slow to get back with me.

Hard to explain.

thanks mike

TEST.zip

I Might have figured out a little something but still struggling to get this right. I ended up using parallel to surfaces and it seems to be cutting the way I would like it to but only is finishing the floors not extending up the radius to blend with the walls like I would like. I replaced the newer file in the original post

Mike I would recommend you break this up into operation to control the process. The finishing of the floor requires surface machining since it is an concave shape. You could approach this a couple different ways, but I think approaching with doing it all like you did will get it done, but not produce the best quality part possible. You can take a 1/2 ball endmill and do almost everything and then come back and re-machine the areas the 1/2 ball endmill did not touch with a smaller ball endmill. Another way to look at it is to machine the upper section with the 1/2 ball endmill to the tops of the tabs then approach each area as a section and machine them. Here you could use Flow Five Axis and then control the axis with the floor surface since the walls are normal to the floor. Pretty straight forward from there. I would do it with some control lines and keep my tool off the walls maybe about 15 degress on the tall walls using a smaller tool. I would think a simple swarf toolpath with a 3/8 ball endmill would take care of most this, but need to think about speeds and feeds and make sure you have cleared out the corners. Many ways to approach a simple part like this really comes down to what you are looking to achieve.