Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V8 to X5 Okuma OSP lathe Post

I have a lathe post that works very well for our Okuma Lathe, but it is only with V8, we have X5 and would like to be able to use the same post processor, i thought using the C-Hook update Post would work but it doesn't seem to be doing that...Any help would be great!

There is standard OSP 2 Axis lathe post that comes on the post installation with X5. Your dealer should have access to it, so ask them. I don't run X5 now, so I'm afraid I can't help. Alternatively, your dealer should be able to help with updating your V8 post to X5.

We run two 2 axis Okuma lathes (U100L and OSP7000L controls respectively), along with a MB56VA vertical mill (E100M), Multus B400W Mill Turn (P200L) and a MU500VAII 5 axis mill (P300M). We are also looking at a twin turret C and Y axis lathe (LU-MY series) We're big fans of Okuma :)

Actually something to add. Updating your post from V8 to X5 involves a good chunk of editing. There were a lot of parameter changes made between those versions, and unless your savvy with editing posts, it might indeed be more prudent to talk to your reseller/dealer

Actually something to add. Updating your post from V8 to X5 involves a good chunk of editing. There were a lot of parameter changes made between those versions, and unless your savvy with editing posts, it might indeed be more prudent to talk to your reseller/dealer

^^^^^^^^^yup indeed

We're also huge Okuma Fans, we have an MB56-VA and purchasing another one very soon, we do have the new x5 post, when we originally went to post code with it, it put out a few alarms such as it needed certain information like max spindle speed before feed rate alarm and a couple other ones in the tool record part of the post i don't recall. So my next step was to see maybe if i couldn't update the old post...but after reading this, I'm thinking it would be wise to just send our old post and tell them to edit the new post we have now so it runs the same as our old one...But yes we absolutely love Okuma's, we have Three Okuma Lathes, including a new Space turn, along with another VMC along the way, They are hands down great machines.

I think that would be the wisest thing to do, getting your X5 post edited to match the required output. I have spent a ton of time editing and tweaking our posts to get the necessary output. Thnakfully, I actually enjoy doing post work and I have a pretty good handle on it nowadays. It is also a case of us needing to be pretty much self sufficient anyway :)

Our latest Okuma is the MU500 5 axis. That is a great machine, and I am a load of fun getting that working. I've had some experience with 5 axis before, but this has given me the opportunity to get right into it.

I've always enjoyed using the Okuma controls. I'd found them to be really robust.

I have a lathe post that works very well for our Okuma Lathe, but it is only with V8, we have X5 and would like to be able to use the same post processor, i thought using the C-Hook update Post would work but it doesn't seem to be doing that...Any help would be great!

Is there any specific formatting you would like to keep that you cannot use one of the new basic posts. I have X5 installed still I can help you there or if you want I can modify the post to your liking. Send me a PM so we can discuss this via phone !

-Grey

We run two 2 axis Okuma lathes (U100L and OSP7000L controls respectively), along with a MB56VA vertical mill (E100M), Multus B400W Mill Turn (P200L) and a MU500VAII 5 axis mill (P300M). We are also looking at a twin turret C and Y axis lathe (LU-MY series) We're big fans of Okuma :)

We're big fans here, too. We have 13 lathes and a HMC; with two MacTurns, a Multus, and two new LU-3000 lathes (annoyingly, one has a P200, and the other has a P300). We'll have another big bore by the end of May.

Unfortunately, at least in my area, the post is provided by a third party and it's been less than favorable, to put it delicately. I've had to virtually rewrite the .pst to make it work correctly. Since it's a third party I can't afford the time it takes to send a change request to my reseller, then wait for them to contact the writer, then wait for the reply yadda yadda yadda. So if you need any help with a LU-3000 C/Y post, I've got plenty of experience. :cheers:

We're big fans here, too. We have 13 lathes and a HMC; with two MacTurns, a Multus, and two new LU-3000 lathes (annoyingly, one has a P200, and the other has a P300). We'll have another big bore by the end of May.

Unfortunately, at least in my area, the post is provided by a third party and it's been less than favorable, to put it delicately. I've had to virtually rewrite the .pst to make it work correctly. Since it's a third party I can't afford the time it takes to send a change request to my reseller, then wait for them to contact the writer, then wait for the reply yadda yadda yadda. So if you need any help with a LU-3000 C/Y post, I've got plenty of experience. :cheers:

How do you handle the twin turret synch codes with the post? I'm curious about that :)

How do you handle the twin turret synch codes with the post? I'm curious about that :)

Unfortunately, you don't handle it with the post. I was a bit upset when the reseller touted all the awesomeness of syncing spindles and turrets with Code Manager, then said I can only do that if I buy MillTurn. So I sync spindles with a little bit of forethought while I'm programing using change at point > insert code when I need to have turrets working together, for things like pinch-turning. It sucks because you can't see it in verify or simulation. However nine times out of ten you don't need a point-to-point sync, and I just insert the sync codes using Manual Entry before the toolpath. When we're setting up a new job (which we do all the time being a job shop) I take my laptop on the floor and watch the operator set up. When I need to make a change I do it right there and repost using wifi directly to the machine.

Well moderately good news, Sent the X5 Lathe Post i was given back with the changes to match our old post. Our Reseller sent back an edited post with a couple extra added features that were definetly better than the old post, easier on me as a programmer and a little more friendly to the operators. Especially with the Type tooling we make.