Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ROTARY MILL PROBLEM

CNC-ERIC

Hi, there,

I follow Dwain Dyer's method to practice rotary peel mill.

I build a solid model in soildworks, then opened it in Mastercam7, Xform-Roll it at 270deg with a dia of 50mm, then do the peel slot toolpath.

the problem is below:

the slot the not "parallel", instead with a angle in the verification.

no chamfer appear on the verification

the finish is not as smooth as I did with Dwain Dyer's file.

can anyone tell me what the problems are? how to do it right?

thanks in advance.

Eric

HELIX SLOT.MCX-7

Hi, there,

I follow Dwain Dyer's method to practice rotary peel mill.

I build a solid model in soildworks, then opened it in Mastercam7, Xform-Roll it at 270deg with a dia of 50mm, then do the peel slot toolpath.

the problem is below:

the slot the not "parallel", instead with a angle in the verification. not sure what you mean

no chamfer appear on the verification on the cut parameter page,the tip offset cannot be greater than the tip of the chamfer. in this case it is .072 and you have .08. there should have been a warning. change the .080 to something smaller.

the finish is not as smooth as I did with Dwain Dyer's file. try adjustingt the "precision" on the bottom left of the verify screen.

can anyone tell me what the problems are? how to do it right?

thanks in advance.

Eric

See RED above

Well looks perfect to me and did exactly what you told it to do. Do you bother to notice your chamfer path was not cutting anything? If it was not correct then it would not verify correct. The floor looks perfect to me so when you ran this program what happened?

You have it looking right to me when you correct your chamfer issue so not sure how to help.

thank you Columbo!

the parallel issue, please see the attached picture.

no chamfer, I got it, I chosen a 120deg spotdrill instead of a 90deg chamfer.

adjust the precision to the highest, the finish still not smooth. see the attached picture. but in Dwain Dyer's file, the verification finish is very smooth, even the precision setup in the middle. the link is Dwain Dyer's video and post.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=77157

thanks again

Eric

Eric I looked at the Verify and it looks really good to me. Not going to be perfect, but will not be better unless you have a endmill perfectly ground flat on the bottom. Flat endmills are not perfectly flat you have to request that one be made perfectly flat if you want a machined finish cut like this to come out more correct, but even then it will not be perfect since you are really cheating here.

HTH

Eric, yes that is to be expected you are getting a natural effect of cutting parts like this of this nature. You would need to use the Rolldie chook if you want the way to stay normal to the cylinder. You need adjustments Y to make up for the natural way the shape would be cut using this process which is what Rolldie was invented for to control that. Cam Slots where a roller bearing will be going in need to be cut differently that what you are doing if that is the results you are looking for not going to happen with your current process. Can use to rough then come back with Rolldie to finish.

HTH

Eric, yes that is to be expected you are getting a natural effect of cutting parts like this of this nature. You would need to use the Rolldie chook if you want the way to stay normal to the cylinder. You need adjustments Y to make up for the natural way the shape would be cut using this process which is what Rolldie was invented for to control that. Cam Slots where a roller bearing will be going in need to be cut differently that what you are doing if that is the results you are looking for not going to happen with your current process. Can use to rough then come back with Rolldie to finish.

HTH

Hi Ron,

I tried to use that "ROLLDIE" chook and it seems to make the finish and sides even worse. (never used it before)

Are there any settings that need to be adjusted on the last screen that pops up?

Thanks