Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Boolean Removing Imported Solid Model

Hello, this is my first post and I was hoping someone here could help me out.

I am trying to take an imported solid model and boolean removing that solid model from a 1" thick extruded solid representing an aluminum plate. One of the issues I am running into is that segments of the imported solid (which is a bent copper wire) dip below the surface of the 1" thick solid so that when I boolean remove the imported geometry, a tunnel is created. My goal is to machine a cavity that corresponds to the geometry of the imported solid so that I can drop the piece into the plate.

I hope I have made it clear enough what I am trying to achieve. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

You would need to think about a geometry that is normal to the direction you are trying to remove from. A couple different ways to approach this but without a sample file I will do my best to shoot at the dart board blind folded. One trick I teach people is to think about what an tool is going to do when making the part. Good thing about Mastercam solids is it a wireframe process and what that you create wireframe to make solids from. Other programs like to use bodies to remove things and you get what you got here. It is removed but complete unusable for what you really need. Go back and create a Ball endmill shape at the end of your tube normal to the direction you would like for the shape to be cut out of. Then sweep cut the shape from your block and you not have the ability to get what you are after. Another thing to do it to go into the block of what you got cut out and create edge curves and try to get the shape you are looking for, much harder this was. It can be done, but a lot of extra work and with something like you want that is like the tool you will be cutting with then you get a solid like what you really need.

HTH