Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th Axis Pell Mill on an Impeller Crazy Milman style

crazy^millman

4 hours ago, cincy k said:

Are you able to wrap a toolpath along a contour? Say you want to create a toolpath like this that follows on non round surface. Or in my case wrap the toolpath along a curve that has a straight lead in from air into the material and wrapped around a cylinder.  I've tried using 5 axis roughing in 2018 but can't get it contained the way I want to. 

Nope a non round surface will not work in this example. This is Axis substitution so I am in essence wrapping the toolpath around an Axis using the process which means it will have to follow a Cylindrical surface or shape. 5 Axis Roughing is pretty much the same thing the difference is you have stock you can use for roughing to control air cuts and you can have a better visualization of the process. What I have seen is it works best on Cylindrical Shapes or Surfaces and have not seen it do we will irregular or free form shapes. In those cases I will try to fit a cylindrical shape as best I can use it to rough the material out fo the way in 5 Axis then I will come back and use Parallel to get the rest. Not Peel Mill Motion like I did in this example, but still good enough to rough parts efficiently and effectively. 

Lets say you really know what you want for motion and really want to dial down your toolpaths what can a programmer do with Mastercam they realy can't with most other CAM Software. You can draw the moption and have Mastercam do it in 5 Axis for you or you can use convert to 5 Axis and do soem really trick things. Let your creative juices flow and go outside of the normal cookie cutter stuff and make it bend to your will and not you bend to it.

• Like 2
On 10/27/2017 at 2:59 PM, C^Millman said:

Nope a non round surface will not work in this example. This is Axis substitution so I am in essence wrapping the toolpath around an Axis using the process which means it will have to follow a Cylindrical surface or shape. 5 Axis Roughing is pretty much the same thing the difference is you have stock you can use for roughing to control air cuts and you can have a better visualization of the process. What I have seen is it works best on Cylindrical Shapes or Surfaces and have not seen it do we will irregular or free form shapes. In those cases I will try to fit a cylindrical shape as best I can use it to rough the material out fo the way in 5 Axis then I will come back and use Parallel to get the rest. Not Peel Mill Motion like I did in this example, but still good enough to rough parts efficiently and effectively. 

Lets say you really know what you want for motion and really want to dial down your toolpaths what can a programmer do with Mastercam they realy can't with most other CAM Software. You can draw the moption and have Mastercam do it in 5 Axis for you or you can use convert to 5 Axis and do soem really trick things. Let your creative juices flow and go outside of the normal cookie cutter stuff and make it bend to your will and not you bend to it.

Check out our instagram feed! Got it to work on our Matsuura MX-520. Used 5 axis roughing in MC2018 and Camplete to post and verify. 

https://www.instagram.com/tkmsusa/  

Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1