Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tools of coolant video

That is a great video. I've had to train every person that has worked here on coolant maintenance, this just made my job so much easier. Same with the Haas softjaw cutting videos, now I just get employees to watch the videos before I go over it with them on the machine.

That's a really good video. Let us know what you find on the DI systems. There was a topic about this on Practical Machinist last week, and some of the guys were paying astronomical $/gal on the DI water. We go through wayyy to much water/coolant here to spend 30 cents a gallon on water. After seeing what a few months of tap water did to our $3000 Porta Cool, I kinda want to start feeding our $300,000 machines something a little better, as long as it's cost effective.

They did mess up one thing though. DON'T mark the position on your coolant mixer for the "perfect" concentration. This changes almost every time you use the mixer, depending on temperature of the water coming out of the hose, and concentrate in the barrel. The concentration can be off as much as 10% from one day to the next. It needs to be checked with the refractometer every time you start to fill.

Looking into probably getting a simple system from Grainger.

http://www.grainger.com/product/ARIES-FILTERWORKS-Deionizer-44C703?s_pp=false

I might just mount it outside and have a hose long enough to feed all my machines. There is defiantly cheaper options but sometimes we run into issues when going to smaller online only companies. (Its a govt procurement thing, they don't like new suppliers) The replacement parts will be easy to get though.

Still going to be cheaper and take up less of my time then swapping the coolant every six months. In a one man shop having to do any extra pm work just doesn't lead to good productivity.

Joe: We use a system from Siemens Water for our DI. I want to say its a $600/year service, but I don't handle those bills. The truck pulls up twice a year to service the tanks and we call if we happen to see our monitor light go out sooner.

Joe: We use a system from Siemens Water for our DI. I want to say its a $600/year service, but I don't handle those bills. The truck pulls up twice a year to service the tanks and we call if we happen to see our monitor light go out sooner.

That doesn't sound too bad. How much water do you reckon you go through?

That doesn't sound too bad. How much water do you reckon you go through?

We feed 5 machines, approx 40 gallons per machines. Even when we've dumped all the tanks in the same year I don't think we ended up needing service early. We are located near the stadiums in Anaheim with no climate control on the shop floor. That should give you an idea of our water evaporation rates during the summer and such.