Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OPTI REST ON 4140 PLATE STEEL

so this is one of the many parts we make out of 4340 or 4140 steel, this part is from 2" 4140 annealed plate and it was also flame cut to a 8" x 10" dim

the cool part is that im removing 7.56cu in\min

the machine is a 2011 doosan dhp 4000

i'm securing that part with a .100x60deg dovetail

the cutter is a seco 1 1/2 dia super turbo 5flute with a m16 combimaster head and a combimaster holder adapter

the weldon version works equally as well

the inserts are the m12 edge .03 corner and mp3000 grade

using thru tool air

ap .32 ae.375 sfm 1000 ipt .005 , the insert edge life is about 45min usually we can easily get double that, but with that flame cut its just wearing them out quicker

• Like 1

i definitely agree guys , i've used that technique before but on this job the cycle time was more a concern than maximum tool life, there is a wire edm and fab welding op after this one and they take forever and a year to complete and at the time the customer needed them yesterday

jeff 1000spm is pretty quick for 4000 anneled steels but this cutter r217.69-01.50-16RE-12-5AN and insert XOMX 120408TR-M12 mp3000 takes it like a beast on dynamic paths.

at the above parameters on the width of cut but the depth i've had up to .36, after that the machine cant take the vibration and we start getting random failures, also having a good supply of thru spindle air is key, even using about 600psi thru spindle coolant drastically reduced tool life and reliability.

next time we run another job we use this cutter on ill get more video/data to share.

• Like 1