Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Auto-Measuring Fixture Height

Thee Awbade™

So, I don't use much automation or even canned cylces within my controller or programs.

However we've had an issue lately with operators not properly gauging the height of the work offset we're using. (usually it's just the height of the machine table.)

I'm looking to automate this, using an auto-matic tool setter and wondering what types of things I should be reading into. We use a F@gor 8055 controller on a 5 axis DMI Router from 1999.

My Main concern is, when I set the work offset system to the tool-setter, how can I program an adjustment into that?

some of our older programs instead of using the table height as Z0 for our Offset, instead use the "Center" of a construction ball on the fixture which would be an exact 1.5" Off of the height of the table.

Essentially I'm looking to add into the existing code files some sort of command to have it use the automatic tool setter, to measure spindle height in G56, add 1.5" to the height and automatically record that as Z0 for the G56 offset.

Is this possible? If so, where should I start looking to find the resources to do this?

I'm not sure I completely understand, but you can automatically change the Offset table with macro #5263, which is G56, Z axis.

And I should mention I don't have a f@gor control. I've never ran one. But in Fanuc it would look something like this.

#5261 = [do your calculation here]

Hmm. Perhaps I should clarify a little bit then.

Currently my setup sheets say "X0,Y0 At Center of bushing. Z0 at Table Height"

Operator uses Coax center-finder to find center of bushing. Takes tool out of spindle, uses 1,2,3 block to determine Z Height where Z0 Is the spindle nose touching the table. Input all of these numbers into the work Offset Table under G56 to which all of my programs are programmed. He then goes with all of his tools in the carousel and types "M101, Cycle-Start" And the machine goes to the automatic tool-setter, touches off on the tool, records tool length. Rinse and repeat through all tools. M101, M102, M103, M104 etc.

My Code looks like this

%,100001,MX,

;450-061-504-117 Program

;T4 #30 Drill W/4" Stickout

;T5 #40 Drill W/4" Ext W/3" Stickout

;T10 1/4" Burr W/3" Ext

;T11 .215 Drill W/ 4" Stickout

G70 G80 G90

G40 G44

G48 S0

T10

M6

S16000 M3

G4 K300

D10

G48 S1

G56

G51 E0.01

G0 G90 B62.454 C-91.039

What I WANT to do is put into my code something like

%,100001,MX,

;450-061-504-117 Program

;T4 #30 Drill W/4" Stickout

;T5 #40 Drill W/4" Ext W/3" Stickout

;T10 1/4" Burr W/3" Ext

;T11 .215 Drill W/ 4" Stickout

G70 G80 G90

M100 (To Measure Z0 and auto-record it as Z0 for G56 Offset)

M104

M105

M110

M111

G40 G44

G48 S0

T10

M6

S16000 M3

G4 K300

D10

G48 S1

G56

G51 E0.01

G0 G90 B62.454 C-91.039

So that I take all of that human error of measuring Z0 off the table out of the hands of our operators.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with F@gors automated tool setting cycles. We use Blum lasers on some of our machine, and they use their own macros.

I guess I was thinking you were looking for a way to modify the existing G54, G55, ... offsets that were already recorded.

Save all of your offsets from presetter to a txt file program. Use G10 command in the text files for your offsets. Send the text file to the CNC control, then execute the program just like a regular nc program. More info can be found in any fanuc program manual. :guitar: If you desire the old and inefficient way of doing so, consult with Crazy Mill Man. He is old.

Save all of your offsets from presetter to a txt file program. Use G10 command in the text files for your offsets. Send the text file to the CNC control, then execute the program just like a regular nc program. More info can be found in any fanuc program manual. :guitar: If you desire the old and inefficient way of doing so, consult with Crazy Mill Man. He is old.

I gladly welcome your programming suggestions, however that would not work for my current situation.

I'm looking to have it go through the subroutine every time, to verify that the #'s are correct. We run on a 10x15 foot machine, therefore things move, and offset values change within a half-an-hour.

I'm also not on a Fanuc, I'm on a F@gor. Are the two controllers very similar? I've only ever programmed or used F@gor controllers

Please keep the insults/fights/i'm better than 97% of you out of this thead if you could. I'm not looking for a de-railment here, just trying to figure something out thanks =]

Awbade, I think you're on the right track with the start up macro, have you spoken with fa-gor?

I'm on a F@gor. Are the two controllers very similar?

Yes, uh no, basic G code programming yes, specific stuff no not really