Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma Multus Plane setup

Bwank1124

I am not sure. This is what the post says for mill toolpaths.

(#MILL TOOLPATHS:
#Mill Layout:
# The term "Reference View" refers to the coordinate system associated
# with the Mill Top view (Alt-F9, the upper gnomon of the three displayed).
# Create the part drawing with the the axis of rotation along the X axis
# of the "Mill Reference View" with the face of the part toward the side
# view (Mill Reference View X plus direction).  The Y plus axis of the
# Mill Reference View indicates the position on the part of C zero
# (View number 3).  The right or left side view are the only legal views
# for face milling.  The view number 3 rotated about the X axis as a
# "single axis rotation" are the only legal views for cross milling
# except for axis substitution where the top view is required.
# Rotation around the part is positive in the CCW direction when viewed
# from the side view.)

Cathedral is correct, in that the WCS plane should be top, and the tool and construction planes should be set to the required tilt plane.

There are a number of Multus posts out there, from various vendors. I was more curious than anything else. We run a Postability Multus post, and it works very well.

Thanks guys, I was just wondering. There is talk around here to get a better post and go full blown mill/turn so we will see what happens but for now I will give that a try and see what happens.

If you Multus is an earlier model, without a lower turret, then you can do pretty much everything without the Mill Turn add on. Either the Inhouse or Postability post will serve you well there.

Yeah no lower turret. We have been running without the mill/turn. Right now the guy at the machine programs everything he can using IGF. Then if he gets stuck we will make a program up for him. We know in the programming room that this probably isn't the best way to go but we need to let the guy fail a few times and take a couple days so we can start doing more off-line programs.

Yeah no lower turret. We have been running without the mill/turn. Right now the guy at the machine programs everything he can using IGF. Then if he gets stuck we will make a program up for him. We know in the programming room that this probably isn't the best way to go but we need to let the guy fail a few times and take a couple days so we can start doing more off-line programs.

As much as I hate to say it, the IGF on our Multus is actually pretty efficient at creating programmes at the machine. The first few programmes written for our machine were done with IGF.

Sure, it produces a good chunk of code bloat, but they work, and don't take a whole lot of time. It has some shortcomings, but doesn't everything :)

I've personally never been a big fan of IGF, but it does work.