Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool breakage detection

Fretless

Can someone with tool detection experience help clarify the correct method of using G65 P9867?

our current method is G65 P9867 H-.015 

I would like to know if this handles "pull out" , "breakage detection".

Do I need to call it out another way?

Thank you in advance

That's kind of a vague example. Are you using Renishaw? G65 P9687 is just a macro call that pulls up program 9687. That program could be anything. If you're using renishaw, the H value is the allowed difference between the programmed tool offset and the measured tool offset. If your tool is < .015, shorter or longer, it will alarm out. So that covers pull out, push in, breakage, and unfortunately, "just a chip on the tool tip."

Yes Cathedral, Renishaw . 

It has consistently alarmed out at night during lights out operation.

I wasn't sure if it allowed for pullout.

Thank you for clarifying.  

Have you ever used a big number like H-.125 or H-.25 to allow for chips?

Yes Cathedral, Renishaw . 

It has consistently alarmed out at night during lights out operation.

I wasn't sure if it allowed for pullout.

Thank you for clarifying.  

Have you ever used a big number like H-.125 or H-.25 to allow for chips?

I have never run production with it that big. That's just asking for trouble. But it will work. If we have a tool that keeps catching chips, we'll put an airblow or high pressure blast to try to blow it off before break detection.

Also, we use absolute numbers (as in H.010) and not (H-.010). I'm pretty sure that's not a big deal because the macro converts it to absolute anyways, but that's how we program it.

H.01 will check for broken condition only.

H-.01 will check for broken and pulled out condition.

But macro 9687 is for turning tools (according to my Renishaw manual) and it does not show that H value is an option for that macro.

For milling I use macro 9863. Works like a charm.

Depending on what is checking for breakage I will use either .01 or .05. If I am using a mechanical tool setter I use .01 for the H value. I also have a dedicated coolant line on the machine table directed at the setter to keep it free of chips. On my horizontal I have a laser so I use .050 for the H value. The laser can have issues with accurately measuring large end mills without a radial offset so I would get false alarms at lower values. Instead of manually editing the break detect for larger end mills I just increased the H value to .05 and I never get false alarms.

H.01 will check for broken condition only.

H-.01 will check for broken and pulled out condition.

I'll have to disagree with you there, robk. If a positive number only checks for broken tools, then the tool setter would not alarm out if there was chips on the tool. Chips on the tool simulate an artificial "pull out" (they make the tool seem longer) and will alarm out, with a positive number; at least on our machines.

I suppose each machine/macro combination is different. It works for us using Fanuc 18i through Fanuc 21i; and Okuma P100 through P300 controls.

So I screwed up with my macro number, I was dyslexic the number I stated was 9687 and should be 9867.

Robk, Looks like your info. was right out of the manual. Thank you so much.

even with 9867 could it be a custom set-up?

the control is an 18i-Mb.