Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma steady rest help

We just got an Okuma LB 4000 EX II with OSP-300 with a Kitagawa steadyrest. It's our first machine with a steady rest. We actually ordered the machine without a steadyrest, but it came with one anyways! Unfortunately, there are no instructions or manuals on how to use or attach the damn thing. We've got it in the machine and have the hydraulics attached so it can open and close with a button or M78/M79 codes.

Heres the thing: there is an attachment for an air line to blow out the steady rest, but we can't figure out what damn M code turns that specific air line on. Does anyone know what that is?

Also, there is a key on the control panel for the steady rest. When the key is on, we can open and close the steady rest, but we can't move the nc-controlled axis the saddle is mounted on. When we turn it off, we can move the axis but not use the steady rest. I'm sure this is a parameter setting but I don't know which one. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

I have contacted our machine reseller, but I haven't had a response yet, so I'm asking for help here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread...I had posted about a tailstock issue I'm having. Maybe the same thing in your case.  Does the steadyrest need to see a certail amount of resistance before confirming it's in position(or closed)?? That seems to be my tailstock issue - the machine wants a resistance against the live center to confirm its in position.