Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

moving a stock model

brandon b

this is basically how I was taught to program on a 3 axis vertical mill.   program the top side for op 1 and and then just copy the part to another level and flip 180 then program the second side.

im trying to start using stock models more.   how do I use the stock model from op 1 and flip it with my part for op 2 .

PART1.MCX-7

The only time I've ever had to do that is when I want to verify the underside of a 5-axis part on a second op.

Why not just use WCS and planes for programming side views other than top. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it would be a better investment of your time in my oppinion.

That way you can verify your part complete from start to finish. Top, sides, bottom, everthing.

I've done what you're talking about with the stock model and it' a PITA.

Basically you have to save your verified op (say, op1) as an STL, import it back into your MC file, flip it 180deg., line it up if it's off center, and go from there to your second op.

And hope you get it right the first time otherwise you have to go back to step one a do it all over again. Not to mention future changes if you get a revision or if you need to change your production process.

Just my two cents.

I understand how to use it.im not giving up on it ,it just seems to complicate things more than its worth for the type of work i do. I get how nice it is for multiaxis work. All i do is 3 axis vertical milling. Almost everything is 2 maybe 3 operations ,so just fliping the part 180 is super simple.. i wouldlove to be able to feel comfortable using it,

Mastercam Tips & Tricks plus X8 Preview Webinar:

At around 29 minutes they show how to do what im after. Im pretty close but have problems lining up my op 2 part with the op 1 stock model. By the time i get to op 2 im so confused with all the differnt views and new wcs. Thus is where i feel its makes my simple programming so complicated. I know once i understand it better it shouldn't be so complicated

Brandon. I have some parts right now with 45 different WCS all wrapped around one part. I am making fixture and risers and all kind of stuff for these 4 parts I am currently doing and guess what the parts have never moved from their original position. Gcode showed me how using a point for your WCS is the way to go. Need to make a change move that point and all of your WCS will update like that. Not hard just takes practice.Get a hole of CCCS and tkae a day class they offer it will help you. Ask for Rob or Sean they both know and use this all the time.