Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 GIANT tool holders from X6?

Joe788

So I was working on a new program today for one of our machines that had a decent tool library in X6 (holders are all exact, including spindle housing for that machine), and I opened that tool library for the first time in X8 - and the holders are wayyyyyyyyyy big. As far as I can tell - it converted the inch dimensions to metric, and then just turned the MM into inches.

So, an 8.66" diameter spindle housing, was converted to 219.96mm, but is now 219.96 inches. 

I've already made new holders for most of the other machines over the last few months in X8, so it's not the end of the world, but it would be handy if I could use these few as they're supposed to be. I'm sure it's a simple toggle somewhere?

I sent this to my reseller last week and they (MLC-Cad) were sending it in as a bug to CNC Software. In order to get my holders brought in I had to manually change the values. Only doing what I need. I played with it a little and tried to bring in the library, I tried to drag and drop to create a new library, and I tried to migrate the library but when you open any of them the holders show as metric. If you deselect the metric box still nothing changes. So I created a new holder library and opened the old one and manually create a correct holder one at a time. Hopefully somebody has a solution

I sent this to my reseller last week and they (MLC-Cad) were sending it in as a bug to CNC Software. In order to get my holders brought in I had to manually change the values. Only doing what I need. I played with it a little and tried to bring in the library, I tried to drag and drop to create a new library, and I tried to migrate the library but when you open any of them the holders show as metric. If you deselect the metric box still nothing changes. So I created a new holder library and opened the old one and manually create a correct holder one at a time. Hopefully somebody has a solution

Turns out the migration utility made a copy of that holder library as a .tooldb - and that's the one with the giant tools.

When you're inside the toolpath tree on the holders branch,  hit "open library", and then change the file type to ".holders", there's a .holders file with the same name as the .tooldb file. THAT one opens the tools up the correct size.

Turns out the migration utility made a copy of that holder library as a .tooldb - and that's the one with the giant tools.

When you're inside the toolpath tree on the holders branch,  hit "open library", and then change the file type to ".holders", there's a .holders file with the same name as the .tooldb file. THAT one opens the tools up the correct size.

Joe, in McamX8 all the holder libraries are tool data bases now. 

Joe, in McamX8 all the holder libraries are tool data bases now. 

Yeah, but the .holders file that was converted to .tooldb opens up 25.4 times larger than it should. You can't open the .holders file in the standalone tool manager, but you can open the .holders file in Mastercam, and they come out the correct size.

"Turns out the migration utility made a copy of that holder library as a .tooldb - and that's the one with the giant tools.

When you're inside the toolpath tree on the holders branch,  hit "open library", and then change the file type to ".holders", there's a .holders file with the same name as the .tooldb file. THAT one opens the tools up the correct size."

As it turns out you are correct it did the same thing to me. The holders library works fine. Thanks.

When you run the migration utility it converts the .HOLDERS file to a TOOLDB using the units you have actively selected in Mastercam. Mixing inch and metric tool components in the same assembly isn't supported yet but I entered an enhancement request (D-15558).

If you change your Mastercam units back to inch and run the migration wizard on the holder files again you will get .TOOLDB's with those holders in inch units. That will keep the giant holder at bay for now. I would rename the ones you already converted to <my holder name-mm>.tooldb first in case you need to use the metric version for a different job.