Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis noob, how to machine this part?

Pitka_Guru

Damn, lots of good stuff here. Thanks for all of the replies, it is very helpful in wrapping my head around this. Being able to do this part in one shot sounds like the way to go.   

Ron, thanks for the reminder on those parts. I'm not sure what you mean by bottom, so I'm going to orient the part in cad and attach a pic. This way you and Jay can tell me if I'm on the right path. 

I'll post it shortly. Thanks again everyone!

I quickly drew this up just to see if I'm going in the correct direction. 

Ron or Jay, how thick should my window frame be? Ron, is this what you meant when you said bottom? Thanks!

Oh and how many tabs would be good? 6? As I've never done this before I'm not sure how thick to make them to keep the part nice and solid. Cheers

And the frame is just for visual reference. 

post-54061-0-92982000-1412183888_thumb.jpg

I am a very visual person and knowing where you have to take this back to you will want as much visual aids as possible to help the people you are trying to bring up in skills. Jay he is trying to move a shop behind the times in a different direction. I might be making a trip down under to their place to help them in the next few months. You know slammed I am and have just not had a chance to help him along with this project. He reached out here and the people still caring to help people here stepped in. Glad there is a new forum, but I think I will keep hanging out over here.

I am of the mind set more information and more things for people to see as they are learning new processes the better. I make my living off providing to much information. My goal is to always leave our customers with to much information to go from once we leave. Then if they want to change something or address something they can.

• Like 1

Using contour with tabs is an interesting idea, I've always seen the tabs function but never had any reason to look at it, other than curiosity. That will come in handy, as it will save me from drawing the tabs in once I'm comfortable with the process. Thanks for that Jay!

And to Ron's point, I modeled them in so I could get a good view of what the thing would look like. Having never done anything like this before, It's easier for me to wrap my head around it if I draw it. I usually make some sketches on paper before I create the cad. I need the visuals as well. 

So thanks to everyone who posted, pm'd or emailed me offering guidance. And thanks to the forum in general, this place is an invaluable resource with many knowledgeable people willing to share their experiences.  :unworthy:

Hi everyone,

This part look quite difficult for holding and clamping. The biggest problem is there is not enough plane for holding and clamping. In this case, I will have 3 operations. OP1 rough leave 0.5mm stock on vise jaw. op2 rough and finish on vise jaw. op3 finish the last on fixture.

Thank for reading.

post-50672-0-40957200-1412319060_thumb.jpg

post-50672-0-34818000-1412319071_thumb.jpg

post-50672-0-13472000-1412319079_thumb.jpg