Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surf rough parallel

specprogrammer

+1 to Iskander.....You need to do that on all your toolpaths.

Surface/Rough/Pocket will also waste alot of time taking the first step at -.01. .01 is the default.

I always set the adjustment of top cut to what my step down depth is.

Be sure to observe what these default settings do on all your toolpaths.

The adjustment of the bottom cut by default is also set to .01. This holds up your last cut by .01. Sometimes this is preferrable, sometimes it's not.

Murlin

Ahhh, I'm in on this question too. I usually go to: cut depths > absolute > select depths. Then I select top and bottom of part, respectivly. I also get seemingly too much "air" cut at the first pass. So Murlin, sounds like you use cut depths > incremental? I like using absolute, being a surface rookie. I however get alot of air cut, too. tongue.gif

quote:

So Murlin, sounds like you use cut depths > incremental?

Yeppers.....I use absolute sometimes when I want to control my cut within a specific range.

Not sure why I use incramental right off hand, but I know there is a reason why I started doing that.

It could be the air cutting thing I'm not sure.

Course it might be a mill6 thing I got into and just never changed it. But it works for me....

Sometimes even I dont know why I do thing the way I do rolleyes.gif I guess it comes from the saying.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....heh biggrin.gif

Murlin

quote:

I use absolute as well. I will usually select the top/min. depth and then subract how much I want for my first pass.

+1 on what heeler said. When you set cut depths to absolute on rough surface programs, the program will start at the min depth you enter and stop at the max depth. Whenever I want to control my depths I'll set it to absolute, otherwise I leave it set to incremental.

quote:

The nice trick you can do with it is to extend milling in z- direction without extending your model !

yup. Another thing I use it for all the time is running a countour around the part at the table with a flat mill without having to create geometry. Just set the cut depths to absolute min 0 and max 0 and make sure you have it set to roll tool over all edges. cool.gif

[ 10-29-2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

OK I remember why I use incramental now....

When doing a Surface/Finish/Contour on parts that have lets say a 7 degree ramped floor, the cuts across the floor will have a slight pull to them. When a Shallow is done to finish up the floor, the cuts that the Contour made would still be there because the cutter pulled slightly.

Using incramental, and leaving the bottom cut set to .01, will allow me to finish the walls with Surface/Finish/Contour while leaving .01 stock on the floor.

Since the calculations done for each step of the contour are held up .01 for each one, vertical walls that have small draft angles can be finished because the error is very small on a .01 step.

There will be .01 left on the floor of all the shallow ramp areas and then using Surface/Finish/Shallows with an angle great enough to reach up the sides of the model where that .01 started leaving too much stock on the walls will finish it all up and those pulls on the floor will not be there when finished.

Whew.........get any of that?

Murlin teh method to his madness.....

quote:

Whew.........get any of that?

NO! Then again I'm just drinking my coffee now. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Man Murlin, you've got it down!

I always think of incremental as "distance from the selected geometry"....and absolute, as well ABSOLUTE. That logic is from my 2 1/2 axis world.

I feel safer using absolute on my surface work, I know exactly how deep the tool will go. So how do "incremental depth adjustments" apply to a surface model? And how do you know to what depth the tool is going to go?

Disclaimer: I'm a surface rookie. tongue.gif

The total depth that you tool will go is going to be determined by the geometry. Your tool wont go deeper than the floor of your model.

If you have a thru hole, the tool wont go deeper than the tangent of the ball on your cutter.

The incramental cut applies to each individual pass that is set by your step down distance you set.

So if you are doing a Surface/Finish/Contour and have the step size set at .1, when you use the inc toggle, each .1 step will hold up .01 if that is the number in the feild.

I use this to leave stock on the floor but finish the wall when I am doing 3-d models in steel because of having to use long cutters that will pull a little.

Besides when you backplot with the coords on you can tell exactly how deep each pass is going with the step feature instead of the run feature.

Just look at it from the front or side view.

Murlin

[ 10-29-2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]