Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New to solids, cavities

rchipper

I am getting into working with solids I have minimal experience and have a question. I cut a sample part for a customer and they say the cavity needs to be closed in by .005. I used Surface Rough Pocket to rough the cavity and Surface Finish Contour to finish it. How would I adjust the cuts for the customers needs?

Any containment boundries would need scaled as well correct? I have not used the shrink factor for scaling. If I need to add .005 per wall in a cavity,(shrink it), would that be the shrink factor value? And what if I need to remove stock from the cavity, (open it up) , -.005?

I appreciate your input, thank you very much,

rchipper

rchipper best way is to select everything needed for the toolpath and the scale it by the factor that gives you the .005 reduction on your part. Trick is figuring out that factor. Basic math, but maybe you have not learned it. Take a distance on your part and then subtract .005 from it. So if it is 30.000 and you take away .005 then you have 29.995. Then divide the 29.995 by 30.000 and that gives you a scale factor of .999833. Take that value and put it into the Xform scale remeasure that same distance and good. That scale will change depending on the size of the part. Next question are you sure? Lets again do some math. part is 1.000 and needs to reduce to .995 then then the scale Factor would be easy .995. Now this was taking an overall reduction of .005 and not .005 per side and sorry I could not be sure by reading what you put up, but this should point you in the right direction as it is just basic math.

HTH