Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas VF5 tool change/arm

Any of you lucky Haas owners ever have any issues with the tool changing arm on a VF5? We have a 2010 that wants to occasionally stick and or bang while tool changing. We've had our service rep stop in and look it over, nothing was really ever found. The tool holding plungers operate fine, though the tool pot is occasionally slow to come down.  It does have over 600,000 tool changes, but as do our Doosan's, and never a problem there. Any input is appreciated.

Age old problem, we have had more than one machine do this almost all the time. A little grease on the retention knob helps a little, only bad for holding keeping clean. Also we sprayed a coat of moly on the taper also helps a little. Never could figure out what brand of tool holders work best, but we do have some that just won't stick????

Figure something out other than buying an Okuma or Doosan let us know.

A little dry graphite on the taper helps. The problem seems worse after extended run time. I think the holder heats up and sticks in the taper. I always leave the spindle empty at night and on the weekend. We have had this happen on our EC-1600 as well. Sometimes it takes a dead blow hammer to get the tool out of the spindle if you leave one in over the weekend.

Thanks for the reply's guys, but maybe I should be a little more clear. The bang we get is more from the tool arm, not the tool.  Seems as if some times the tool pot is not fully down before the arm engages the holder in the pot. We've tested this in the recovery mode when it repeats, looks almost as if the arm pulls the pocket into place.

When 's the last time you had the tool arm serviced as in routine yearly maintainice That includes checking the line up, changing and greasing the springs !!!

sounds like there is something a miss.

As far as the taper goes, you need to keep the holders clean and taper in the spindle clean. I use LPS #1. Every time a job is finished and those tool come out , the tools are cleaned and the taper is cleaned.

All new tools are sprayed with LPS as they are put in..

Before the machine is shut down, I go the a empty pocket.

All this helps, so far. Its a Haas thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it seems that a MAC air selinoid is the issue, a Taiwan part made it our American built Haas! The next issue is parts availability, no vendor in the states has one(6wks out). And our Local HFO, doesn't want to return e-mails or phone calls. Seems our next purchase will be more Doosan's and trading in our Haas's. I hate xxxx poor customer service!!!!!