Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G73 - Pattern Repeating

newbie70

Hi Members

I need help with G73 Pattern Repeating cycle.

I make a profile and like to machine with pattern repeating cycle rather than G71 rough machining canned cycle.

The graphic shows the tool is in collision with stock material and the tool goes directly to the profile

rather than machining the stock first. I tried this without giving stock to this profile, same result.

Where am I going wrong here in MCAM? There's one manual tutorial in Fanuc asking to use G73 rather than G71.

Thks in advance.

Newbie.

• Like 2

What I done is, I left a step over of 2 and  checked the Add line in lead-in and then I added  5mm to Length. It  works fine  for profiles other than ball shape at the front face. Now, when am trying to pattern repeat a  ball shape at the front face, it  won't select all of the profile up to  the top diameter. The machining starts straight away from the profile and keeps repeating even after checking the Add line in lead-in to 5mm length. Maybe, I have to give the length equal to the radius of  ball shape so that the tool starts 5 to 7 cuts away from the profile.

Any suggestions on this?

I think I understand. Adjusting the lead - in adds an imaginary line that is tangent to the start of the profile. When you have a full radius as the start of your profile, that imaginary line is drawn straight down accross the face of the part--it goes straight down in your x axis of movement. Mastercam ignores movements like that so you could set it to 100mm and you would see no change. What I would do is add an extra line of geometry and use it just for that toolpath. So, if I understand correctly, what you are seeing is like picture one below. In picture two I added the line, and then all of a sudden you can see the lead in adding the extra length.

post-52560-0-74192600-1426698833_thumb.jpg

post-52560-0-27993800-1426698843_thumb.jpg

Ok. I have attached 2 files one without ball shape at the front and one with ball shape at the front. I tried this without defining the stock with a straight line geometry up X0.

The tool gets embedded in the stock on simulation even after adding line in lead-in. Here the step over is 1.0

I tried with -ve stepover of 1.0 same result. The tool cuts the profile and starts repeating.

post-53285-0-07780200-1426926331_thumb.png

post-53285-0-84657800-1426926347_thumb.png

I fixed the problem without going into technical issues.

I made a step of 0.2 diameter by 0.2 length. It did work.

I have attached the ball shape profile at the front face machined with a stepover of  1.0 - 27 passes, add line in lead-in to 5 mm. 

Done n Dusted.

post-53285-0-65747700-1426959568_thumb.png

I fixed the problem without going into technical issues.

I made a step of 0.2 diameter by 0.2 length. It did work.

I have attached the ball shape profile at the front face machined with a stepover of  1.0 - 27 passes, add line in lead-in to 5 mm. 

Done n Dusted.

Can I throw this out here. If you used Material then you would not have all that wasted movement. That is a lot of air cuts that is wasting too much time. If you came into any shop I was running and programmed a part like that I would call it no good.

Either define the stock or offset the finish chain and then trim it to the stock to get rid of all air cuts.

• 7 months later...