Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface finish with a surprise ending

Luke.Hicks430

Hello Friends,

I have a Surface Finish Flowline toolpath that has an ending I don't like.

After the surface has been cut the tool retracts moves feeds in then cuts straight into my part.

I have attached a picture that shows my two drive surfaces and the toolpath.

The part I'm trying to get rid of is the backwards "Z"

Anyone have an idea on how to get rid of it?

Thank you,

drawing.pdf

if you turn your lead in/out off it will get rid of that. it is caused by the lead in/out direction you have set. Or just use the vector direction so everytime the tool comes off the part, if goes in the same direction.

You could also change your check stock and add the entire area around the part. That may help as well.

There are a few other methods or surfacing toolpaths you could try before the last resort-

Save toolpath as geometry in backplot, modify lines not wanted, run a contour toolpath on what's left

See the kink in the flowline?

2015-05-11_12-22-34_zpsggpf6h2l.png

You are either going to have to remake the surface causing the issue or just use a Surface Finish Blend path.......basically, your underlying surface, as is, will not be any good for a flowline.

A bit deeper of an explanation.....

The Flowline tool path is designed to follow the UV vectors of a surface.....every surface/face has underlying UV vectors......when these are twisted the tool path will attempt to follow the twist.....that is what you are seeing in your path.......

Okay,

Thank you JParis,

I was wondering if that was the issue, there is a definite break in between those surfaces.

I got a contour surface finish to work pretty well for me so I think I will try that out.

I'm going to take down the videos and break the links for security.

Many thanks,