Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't add solid body to Sheet solid

BillKobernus

We had .stp and .x_t files. Both didn't come into MasterCam good. So we opened them in Solidworks and repaired them. We had Solidworks convert to .x-t and brought that in. I thought it looked good. Didn't realize it was a sheet solid until I wanted to make modifications.

The rest of the mold assembly came in great, just this one core is giving us trouble.

Tell those Proe boys to quit trying to do all those freaking cuts with revolved pointy self intersecting entities...

No need to draw the angle on the drilled hole it causes problems....

If they must simulate the drill angle, put a tiny flat on the drill cut.

EDIT:   BTW I have a decade and a half experience in ProE.  I learned in my first year that revolved cuts caused problems with exported/imported geometry into Mastercam.  I stopped using them and started using protrusions with circles. In fact I rarely used revolved for anything whenever possible. But I do use them as there are some things only revolved will do.

I carry this over into Mastercam.  I find revolved entities to be the most problematic of all solid bodies. Especially if they are rotated a full 360 degrees. Whenever I must use a revolved I will usually mirror 180 and join them. Then there is more math associated to the entity.

• Like 2

Hey Thanks.

Never would have thought that the revolved cut or protrusion would cause that much trouble.  Drilled holes, that's what I use Revolved for.  Would it be better to just make a cut for the drill body, and the another cut with 61 degree drafted walls?

Why is it, that having a little flat on the tip of a drill point will make the cut better, or less math for the conversion?

Bill

Hey Thanks.

Never would have thought that the revolved cut or protrusion would cause that much trouble.  Drilled holes, that's what I use Revolved for.  Would it be better to just make a cut for the drill body, and the another cut with 61 degree drafted walls?

Why is it, that having a little flat on the tip of a drill point will make the cut better, or less math for the conversion?

Bill

Ya know I am not sure...it is in file conversion I think...a revolved surf that comes to a point has a self intersecting surface where the revolve starts and where it ends up at the same place. 

After a bunch of trial and error I just would not revolve 360 if I needed to export out a file into Mastercam from ProE.  I would mirror a 180 revolved and my problems seemed to go away....so if it wasnt broke, I didn't try to fix it any further.

Another problem area in file conversions would be where 2  rounds trimmed together like the waterlines in your core...I would just add a little .005 fillet to the intersecting edge in ProE and that fixed any problems I had.

It is just the nature of the beast.