Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpathing Defaults

cnc_shaggy

Hello everyone,

I tried contacting our local reseller about this problem, but they told me to completely wipe and reinstall mastercam to fix this, and with IT involved, it could take forever. There has to be an easier way to fix this...

One of our programmers was trying to set sane defaults for himself for the Drill toolpath (tip comp, clearance planes, etc.) and managed to save it in a way which it now no longer pulls the type of cycle from the tool.

When pulling a tap from the library, it no longer switches to Tap Cycle, but stays on Drill/Counterbore. Same with drills that have peck cycles defined, it just stays on Drill/Counterbore and doesn't switch to Peck Cycle or Chip Break.

I am our shop's resident mastercam expert, but I am at a loss. Can anyone help me out? I would really appreciate the guidance to fix the potentially tap/drill breaking issue.

I went in a checked that box from the video, about using the tools step, peck and coolant, but when picking different drill paths, the cycle still stays the same. If I change pull a tap from the library, it stays on Drill/Counterbore. I manually switch it to Tap Cycle, then, when creating another drill path, I pull in a reamer, now the reamer uses Tap Cycle instead of Fine Bore. It's like it's modal now

:help: 

Reload the machine def.....

That will get it to set the new setting in place....

Then picking out of a library should function as desired, if not, go in and double check the library setting are as thought, pre-set

You could just delete the .DEFAULTS file and MC will create a new on on startup.

Why would you do that when you have a setting that isn't a default setting? You would still have to go in and change the settings you want.

Would be different if you had a corrupt or otherwise hosed file.

I tried deleting the defaults files, but they were not regenerated, I just got a error message about the files not being found.

Side note, could it have anything to do with our mastercam user directory, and shared directories mapped to network drives?

I was trying to setup our 4 different workstations to be able to share machine defs, tool libraries, and workspace configs easily so any programmer could load their custom toolbar layouts and such, and program at any station for any machine

Everything was working great until one guy had to save over something and break the drill toolpath.

Side note, could it have anything to do with our mastercam user directory, and shared directories mapped to network drives?

My own opinion and experiences, yes, yes, yes a 1000 times yes

Machine defs tool libraries and such all fine but it does create many headaches......as I posted in another thread the other day about working over the network, I won't do it......I'll copy my needed files locally and save my files there but there's so many issues it isn't worth the headache IMNSHO

I would not put a config or workspace or anything in the my mcamx? directory on a network for the LIFE of me.

Why would you do that when you have a setting that isn't a default setting? You would still have to go in and change the settings you want.

He said that editing the defaults is what caused the issue. Starting with a factory defaults file, he can now *pay attention* while making the changes again. Just recommending that he start with clean slate instead of something that is obviously jazzed up to start with.

He said that editing the defaults is what caused the issue. Starting with a factory defaults file, he can now *pay attention* while making the changes again. Just recommending that he start with clean slate instead of something that is obviously jazzed up to start with.

Fair enough but those don't get created new when you delete

I tried deleting the defaults files, but they were not regenerated, I just got a error message about the files not being found.

I was trying to setup our 4 different workstations to be able to share machine defs, tool libraries, and workspace configs easily so any programmer could load their custom toolbar layouts and such, and program at any station for any machine

Everything was working great until one guy had to save over something and break the drill toolpath.

Aha! I think I figured it out because I missed what JParis said. I did set the checkboxes, like in the video, but I didn't realize that only changing the defaults doesn't affect the current machine def. Once I added another machine, that was the same, and deleted the first out of the toolpath manager, it seems to be working now.

I now be creating defaults and operations files for each machine so no errant programmer can nuke the shared defaults files.

Anyways, I will go fix our other workstations and sure this was what cured the problem.

THANK YOU!!

Now at the end of the day I don't want put anyone down but why a reseller suggested to uninstall/reinstall leaves me speechless.....

Back when I was working for a reseller, I took a call from a new to us customer, changing from another reseller that had suggested the exact same thing for an issue.....

5 minutes on a netview he was up and running fine

I'm happy you got it fixed up  

:cheers: