Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Closest line conundrum

romer

If I try to create a line between two arcs where one lies within the other using the closest feature, I get some rather weird results.

For instance, if I create a 1.5" arc somewhere in space. I then create another arc, say .5" somewhere within the first. I then create a line using closest between the two and I can never predict where the line will be, but it certainly is not the shortest path.

I'm sure it has to do with the way Mastercam reads entities but can someone explain how that is?

Thanks,

Romer

Romer !

Try screen->next menu->comb.views

Quote from help

quote:

Choosing the Comb view option from the Screen menu combines all parallel views into a single view and moves arcs from the parallel views to the single view. Parallel views are those Cplanes that exist in the same two-dimensional plane (XY, XZ, or YZ) but differ by rotation or position. This option is useful when you translate files from other applications and want to reduce the number of different views in order to make editing the geometry easier.

1. Choose Main Menu, Screen, Next menu, Comb views. Mastercam combines parallel views and, in the prompt area, displays the number of arcs moved to a new view.

2. Press [Enter] to clear the prompt area and continue.

Note: Mastercam designates the view with the lowest number as the combined view. For example, if you have arcs on view 4 (bottom view) and view 1 (top view), Mastercam moves all arcs to view 1. View 4 becomes an empty view, which is not saved with the file.

HTH

Iskander,

thanks for the reply, but this can be done with just two circles and a default top view. Nothing complicated.

PDG,

We are using V9.1sp1. Our dealer told us that sp2 just had fixes and updates for surfacing which we don't do, and not to bother with sp2.

Apparently he must be misinformed. Should we ask him for a CD or will the update file from Mastercam's website really install seamlessly with no problems.

I ask because it seems there were a number of posts in regards to problems with sp2 needing a fresh install instead of just updating with a patch file.

Thanks,

romer