Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new PC

mayday

Im looking for recomendations. I've got a latest and greatest at least from gateway coming in. my current system is going to be handed down to one of the newer grammers here. my Q is what's my options for getting a new install the way I want it. I have already backed up all my .cfg / .txt / ect. important stuff. I am at 9.1 sp2 level 3 solids / moldplus. Im going from win2k to xp pro. we will prolly get the maintance deal before year end. So do I wait and do clean install from the new CD's or am I safe to load v9.1, do the sp1 install, then do the sp2 install from what I already have. I understand we get the update to VX when it gets released with the maintance. I hate the thought of spending a lot of time getting all the way i like it and then having to do it all over again. can anyone let it outta the bag on wheather going to be an easy transition from v9 to VX?? like posts, tools, opp files, setup shts and all the goody's that take time to set up

We have all heard the rumors that the transition will be fun. Didn't they go to a windows interface? I dont know for sure Mayday, but you would definatly be roll'n the dice by not having the older version readily available.

You have your files backed up, your .pst, your .cfg, it only makes sense to have a software backup as well...

cheers.gif

Ken, I didn't mean a "backup" of the software, what I was reffering to is this. Everytime a new version comes out, allot of us keep the old version still on the pc, kind of like a fall back.

That is why I think it would be wise for Mayday to take the time to put V9.1 on the new box, even tho X is coming soon.

JM2C

cheers.gif

Mayday get the disk for V9 sp2 and do the straght install from there.

Instead of installing the 9.1 then Sp1 then Sp2.

Just a straght install and move the backup stuff from there.

There is going to be a big diffrence from V9 to X .

I say don't worry about that at this time.

you will most likely run both for a little while while doing the transition.

If you dont want to wait around for the sp2 disk to arrive, it's plenty safe to do the 9.1->sp1->sp2 route. Did it here successfully on our "backup" comp...did our new comp when it arrived with the sp2 disk since by that time we had it. As long as you have the cfg files and anything else you want from your existing install, it should go fairly quickly to get it right back where you were.

[ 12-11-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]