Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

can someone please help?!!!

biss03

What computer you buy depends alot on the type of work you are doing. As a rule

always buy the fastest proccessor you can afford. A fast P3 is the best choice right now. I would not get any less than 256K of ram.

Video cards are another issue. I've run MC on cards from Matrox, Diamond, ATI and 3dLabs. I'm currently using a VX-1 from 3dLabs. Its the only card I've ever run that caused no problems at all running Mastercam.

You can spend $2500 on a video card from

3dlabs, but the VX-1 ($165) works very well for me.

A lot of people are using video cards with the NVDIA (???spelling??) chipset.

As far as operating systems go, I've used

WIN98SE and WINME. I've had no Mastercam issues with either, but ME has cause me all sorts of grief with my computer.

I believe the view on OS's is WIN 98 is

OK, WIN 2000 is better and WIN NT is best.

One thing I've noticed about Win2kPE; when I minimize Mastercam, it takes literally between 5 and 35 seconds for the computer to 'release' the desktop. (It removes the MC window, and the computer locks up for 5 to 35 seconds!) I've seen this on 2 diff Win2k machines running v8+. I've also notice a dramatic decrease in available resources at times when mastercam is running minimized, or has other windows on top of it... forcing me to close mastercam completely at times to run other apps. mad.gif

Rekd

Rekd,

I ordered a Dell workstation running on

Win 2k last week.

Your post concerns me greatly cause

I usually have 3 or 4 apps running at a time under Win 98 (or ME) with no trouble.

Win 2K has a feature called procces control

that lets you control the resources an app uses ( I think). I've never used Win 2K and I got this off the MS web pages.

Have you ever tried this Resource Control??

I hope this problem is solvable or I will be formating my new Dell and rebuilding it with Win 98

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 04-11-2001).]

I have been running Mastercam on Win2k for almost a year now. I haven't come across any problems with Mastercam not working with other apps. running or when I minimize it. I am always running 2 session of Mastercam due to their slow toolpath calculation. I set the performance setting to background so win2k uses the same processor resources for all apps. that are running, not just the one in the foreground. I have a dual processor Dell Precision 420. Works great!

Thanks of the info.

I ordered a 330 workstaion with dual monitor

video card. Not being able to run multiple apps kind of defeats the purpose of dual monitors.

I've been pouring over the online Microsoft help looking for an answer, but my new system won't get in till next week so I can't try anything out.

[This message has been edited by gcode (edited 04-11-2001).]

I got my new Dell workstation in Friday afternoon.

Its running Win 2K with a Matrox dual head video card.

I set the performance setting to background

per bstall's advice and I've had no problems at all.

The Matrox card gave me some trouble, but there are new drivers on the Matrox web page that solved those problems.

I'm running MC on one screen and Predator CNC Verify on the other.

Very Cool!

cadcam,

The Predator Chook runs on the MC NCI file.

When running large files it runs pretty slow.

Single stepping through the NCI file takes

lots of fingerwork on your mouse and really doesn't give you much info about whats going on.

I use the chook the first time I'm running a program to capture all the tool and stock info. I save tham as a toolkit and a stockname. The chook works great for capturing some user defined tools like saws

with radii on the top and bottom.

Another disadvantage to the Chook is that you have to close it and reopen it every time. You also have to redefine your stock everytime if you are using STL stock files.

I usually set Predator up to verify G-code and leave it open. (now I'll leave it maximized on my second monitor )

On the Mastercam post page (from the ops manager) leave the Edit button unchecked.

That way you can post a new NC file without conflicting with the old one open in Predator.

I'll be in Predator and see something I don't like, go back to MC, fix it and repost.

In Predator go to the Open Jobs page( the main setup page) and click OK. Predator will proccess the NEW NC file you just modified in MC. Its much faster than using the Chook

I've been playing with my new toy all weekend and havn't done any real work yet,

but I think I'm going to really like this dual monitor setup. If you get one, be sure to get the latest drivers from the Matrox web page. Dual head won't work on a WIN2K machine with drivers older than Feb 2001.

I was really really bummed till I found those new drivers!

"Single stepping through the NCI file takes

lots of fingerwork on your mouse"

gcode, do you know that in 'backplot' you can hold both mouse buttons down on 'step' and zip thru pretty fast? And still stop and 'backup' thru critical areas.

BerTau

[This message has been edited by BerTau (edited 04-15-2001).]

gcode bertau is talking about Mastercam not Predator.

when you are driveing the NCI in the Predator you have more options to run faster slower show tool dont show tool and a chance to measer what you are getting..

there are a lot of advantges that maybe you are not useing.

how long have you had the Predator?

if you need any help please feel free to contact me on this.

i use it every day.

including today of all days.

all so you do not have to open and close it every time that you want to define the stock..

when i started useing it i thoght the same.

but no..

still glad to see you are using this software.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com