Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

error allocating memory`

Diablo God

Man having a weird problem 3d surfacing today.

Getting this alarm " Warning - error allocating memory for tool path functions"

I hit ok, and says this "Warning - toolpath allocation is too low"

I played with the allocations and I am getting no luck.

Computer is a p2.4 with a gig o ram.

I was already doing 3d surfacing to this part. But i added a few changes to the solid model then it started up. I even resaved the file fresh and started a new surfacing toolpath. And got this alarm. Then I turned my solid into a surface by saving to igs to see what happens, same thing.

I then tried to surface one surface from the model not the whole thing like I was doing. And it alarms out. Any ideas?

Jim

If it runs on one computer, but not the other, you may have a corrupt file, or, some other setting is causing your problem.

1st, exit Mastercam, then in the MCAM directory, rename the mill9.cfg to mill9cfg.old.

When you restart Mastercam the system will recreate the mill9.cfg with the system defaults.

Depending on the file size, I would set the database allocation to 64000, and toolpath to 32000. (if your file size is larger than the allocated memory you will see a 'hard disk' show up in the lower right corner of the graphics screen). Then load your part and try again.

IF it still has a problem, re-install Mastercam with the 'repair' option when it shows up, or install to a new directory and try it again.

Craig Madsen

[email protected]

Jim !

You can think I am crazy but it can happen also when memory allocations are too high frown.gif !

It may be a sort of bug but I met it a couple of

times :

Conditions to get it (from my experience ) :

1.You must have solid entities and solid faces selected as drive surfaces

2.you must have very resource demanding toolpath like surface->pocket or contour with high resolution

It looks weird but this error I was continuing to get even when my memory allocations were close to maximum possible (I also have 1 Gig ).

I was suspecting something buggish so in the act of despair I reduced my allocations to smaller then regular and it worked !

It happened to me at least 5-10 times in the last half of year .

It also explained why you OK now :

You have less memory allocated to the toolpath !

How can I explain it :

May be solids memory management not fully related

to the database allocations and big toolpath allocations are not leaving place for solid memory management especially when U work from Solid faces .

Iskander teh malloc

quote:

May be solids memory management not fully related to the database allocations and big toolpath allocations are not leaving place for solid memory management especially when U work from Solid faces.

I think you smacked it on the head there. Solids in MasterCAM are running out of the parasolid kernal, and likley using dynamic RAM allocations as other windows programs are. Toolpaths and the like are using MasterCAM's fixed allocations. Bump the fixed allocaitons up enough and there won't be enough RAM for the dynamic stuff.

Rick !

quote:

Solids in MasterCAM are running out of the parasolid kernal, and likley using dynamic RAM allocations as other windows programs are. Toolpaths and the like are using MasterCAM's fixed allocations. Bump the fixed allocaitons up enough and there won't be enough RAM for the dynamic stuff.

I think U R right !

I also saw some other cases that prove this statement :

Like this :

Convert a lot of surfaces to solid or create complex solid with many faces .

Now try to enlarge memory allocations ,even database allocations and you can get message that MC can not do it .

Like there are a couple of variables in memory management and one of them is not shown in Screen->config .

It doesn`t hurt me much , but I hope that verX will solve all this problems.

There are many other interesting things in memory managenent and in toolpath calculations that I found .

I can recreate situations when MC may calculate toolpath soooooo longgggg ,close to forever ,like

rather simple surface->contour toolpath ,

and it doesn`t matter what Toolpath allocations you have !!!

It looks like if you have inner corner radiuses in model close to tool radius ,IOW tool doesn`t have a lot of free space inside your model ,that the calculation time can be 20-50 times greater than with a tool of half size !

And if you have also filtering ,optimize,minimize burial,shallow and flats turned on you can imagine the calculation time !

i too found it happens to me,i can never get my toolpath calculated using surface finish contour with the contour flats activated,it takes forever for the toolpath calculations and often it hangs without any results!i think it could be due to the solids i used to convert the surfaces for toolpathing.