Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X-Offset for Spade Drilling

I'm working on a part that uses two different spades. I'm GREEN when it comes to spade drilling and I'm unsure of how I would set the X-Offset for these tools.

The process I use to set my ID boring bars is to bore a diameter, move the tool out and measure diameter. I input that diameter and then press "measure" and it sets my tool offset.

I was wondering if I would just use ZERO for the X-Offset because the tool needs to follow the center line of my machine. Or do I set the tool like my ID boring bars? Overall I'm very unsure how to touch off this tool. Please let me know in detail what I should do. Thanks for your help everyone!

NO STAR WARS SPOILERS PLEASE!

I placed my indicator on the face of my chuck and lined up the tool holder and the centerline just by glancing through the back of the holder. I was able to get two sides match and then used X0 "measure" so now the machine has a better idea of where to start. But I don't believe it's centered correctly still. Because Although 12 & 6 are in sync, 3 & 9 are almost .03" out. The only way I could think to adjust this would involve adjusting the position of my actual turret. But I don't think I can accomplish this because I don't know of any ways that unlock the turret. When I switch tool slots it locks it's self in position. If there were a code to adjust the orientation of the turret would the lock still be able to engage after the adjustment?

Jeff, I had the same thought about simply setting the X Off-set to 0. So I tried this and it took my turret up into the home position.

Has this lathe been bumped (crashed) in the past?  The turret might need re-alignment.  Take the drill out of the holder, put an indicator on the chuck and sweep the hole in the holder to see if it is concentric with the spindle.  If that is good, it could be a bent drill.  The X offset is not 0, it is the distance from the machine home position to the spindle centerline.

Jeff, I had the same thought about simply setting the X Off-set to 0. So I tried this and it took my turret up into the home position.

Well it all depends on the machine whether it sends it home or to spindle zero.

And you do have to make sure it's straight.

Is your holder straight, turret aligned? etc...

I have a little mori and every time it hits something (usually coincides with training a new employee) I have to loosen the bolts in the middle of the turret and twist it back to zero. But all 10 stations are center afterwards.. If you line some up and others are off... what machine is this?