Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probing a flat on the 4th axis P9818

Hey Guys, I have a 4th axis part I want to automate setting the flat.  I'm a bit confoozed.  In the Renishaw Inspection Plus PDF, pg 9-9, why does the example rotate the part 45 degrees before any probing is done.  If I have my part on a fixture which holds the flat parallel to the table, can I bring the probe in, move in Y3.0, hit, move Y-3.0 hit and update S2?  Can I get some clarification?

TIA

Oh this on a Haas VF2 SSYT, HA5CB

post-17074-0-07952800-1457629676_thumb.jpg

Mic, if you notice in the picture, A0 is actually at a 45 to the spindle. They move to A45. to bring the flat perpendicular to the spindle.

You are correct in your assumption to "holds the flat parallel to the table, can I bring the probe in, move in Y3.0, hit, move Y-3.0 hit and update S2?"

Might also need to add error checking to your process. I have found that some machine will not update the workoffset until the 4th Axis is moved. Also depending on the accuracy you are looking for might want to run it a couple times and set an acceptable error amount so that if it out of the your acceptable amount it will alarm out and not run your program if you have this probing as part of a production run of parts.

Hey Ron, well I got it to work and update my offset.  No production here, just 3 electronic boxes, but I just wanted to practice probing and to save my self some indicating.  I loaded my part onto pins at A0, ran an indicator across to align it, and set A0.  I ran the probing cycle and it made an update of .004 degrees.  I ran the indicator end to end again and it moved somewhere with a .0001 hashline  :)  Works for me!

I've seen other probe cycles online where the probe moves to position in Y+, the part rotates until it hits, the probe them moves in Y-, probe takes another hit and then sets zero at the flat.  Is this a custom cycle or another MTB's?

Hey Ron, well I got it to work and update my offset.  No production here, just 3 electronic boxes, but I just wanted to practice probing and to save my self some indicating.  I loaded my part onto pins at A0, ran an indicator across to align it, and set A0.  I ran the probing cycle and it made an update of .004 degrees.  I ran the indicator end to end again and it moved somewhere with a .0001 hashline  :)  Works for me!

I've seen other probe cycles online where the probe moves to position in Y+, the part rotates until it hits, the probe them moves in Y-, probe takes another hit and then sets zero at the flat.  Is this a custom cycle or another MTB's?

Mic, that is great and would rather give not needed advice and be wrong than you needed it and was not sure if it was you or not. MTB will sometimes do it different, but also comes down to the specific machine and probe being used. Why up to each person doing it to dial in what works for them and adjust for what doesn't work.