Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

insert drilling 15-5PH @H1025; speeds and feeds?

turning a 1.5" dia part and getting beautiful parts at the moment

all the tools are getting good life except the .750 insert drill.

i'm drilling out the center, retracting, offsetting .28" (.14 radially) on dia and rough boring.

Most of the wear is concentrated on a .14 with of the outer insert, and this pass sequels like someone letting the air out of a balloon. currently running [email protected]".

I've tried two offset passes (for three total) which didn't really seem to help, so now back to the one offset taking .14"doc.

uhhg insert life sux

thanks for relaying your experience on offset drilling, as i've never attempted this before.

I tried going from .75 to 1.06" with the boring bar, but tool life there suffered also (no coolant fed on bar). And i didn't think I was very brilliant roughing with the finish tool.

Didn't think it would be this much trouble. Captain obvious says I shoulda opted for the 1" insert drill. Dang it!

part is only 1.3 long/deep with a thru bore.

i thought it was coolant related on the offset drill pass, so I stopped short .02" on the center pass to leave a slug. It worked and coolant is shooting back out of the hole for the second pass, but it didn't help insert life any.

boring bar is fairly stout, just think it is smart to leave the finish tool only finishing.

Unless there is some magic speeds and feeds with the undersized drill, I'm going to need to pony up $$$ and get the drill i should have got in the first place.

anyone need a used .75 insert drill? :realmad: