Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need some clarification on Generic 5X post

Is anyone able to explain what the line str_n_a_axis: "B" is referring to in the Generic Haas 5X post? How is this related to str_pri_axis "B"  in the previous section. I understand the primary and secondary rotary axis but the other I can't get my head around. Can you really dumb down your explanation , this stuff makes my head hurt. Thanks for any help

The Generic Fanuc 5X Mill Post has been built to support basically any kinematic configuration of machine available. It does this by having a series of variables that act as "switches" to setup the internal variables and routines that are used.

One of the options for configuration is support for a "Nutating" machine. This is a machine where the Rotary axes are not at Right Angles to each other. Typically one of the rotaries is at 45 or 50 degrees to the other. On a Head/Head machine, this allows the spindle to be mounted "vertically", but by rotating one of the axes, you can change the spindle orientation to "horizontal".

For the Haas VF_TR post, you wouldn't typically need these variables.

The "nutating" variables typically start with 'n', or have '_n_' in the name.

Now, there are some reasons you would want to use the Nutating routines. This post has a ton of logic. Especially in the encrypted portion. So some efforts were made to reuse or repurpose sections of code where practical. One of these is the Nutating sections. For "Tilted Work Plane" (G68, G68.2, Plane Spatial, Cycle 800), the Nutating routines are utilized to calculate and output the code, as the logic routines are already setup to perform the necessary calculations. The other reason is to not "mix" the variables for 5X vector output with the TWP variables. And since all the calculations are encrypted, it gives you the ability to easily setup the TWP output, if you know how to manipulate the variables and routines.

Thanks for your reply Colin.

I have another question. Can there be more than one configuration for the same machine. I ask this because I have a machine model of a variaxis  type machine with  A rotating in X and C rotates about Z. After  a lot of fiddling I finally got the machine to cut my part model on 5 sides successfully in vericut. However the part is roatated in A so it faces away from the operator. I was happy to see it finally work but not the way I want. Maybe I have something configured backwards. Even still I was quite happy to see it work. So I guess I answered my own question there is another configuration or can I adjust rotary limits? Which is the best way to get the part rotated towards the operator? I have a lot to learn and I'm eager to learn as much as I can. This is why I'm trying to understand the basics of the generic post, not too interested in all the bells and whistles right now.

Thanks again for your reply

Thanks for your reply Colin.

I have another question. Can there be more than one configuration for the same machine. I ask this because I have a machine model of a variaxis  type machine with  A rotating in X and C rotates about Z. After  a lot of fiddling I finally got the machine to cut my part model on 5 sides successfully in vericut. However the part is roatated in A so it faces away from the operator. I was happy to see it finally work but not the way I want. Maybe I have something configured backwards. Even still I was quite happy to see it work. So I guess I answered my own question there is another configuration or can I adjust rotary limits? Which is the best way to get the part rotated towards the operator? I have a lot to learn and I'm eager to learn as much as I can. This is why I'm trying to understand the basics of the generic post, not too interested in all the bells and whistles right now.

Thanks again for your reply

That will really come down to the settings of your planes for your operations and are you allowing for the 1st or 2nd solution solving of the A Axis output values. 1st solution might be A negative and 2nd Solution might be A positive, but then if the Y axis travel is more towards the back of the machine away from the operator then you may have to deal with the only solution being that works. Many things to consider when programming for 5 Axis machines and what we think will work sometimes becomes the opposite of what happens on the machine. End of the day if the part gets cut and it comes out correct then job well done.

I remember having to cut packing out of a 6' id x 12' tall 20 ton turbine housing many years ago. We would stick the 12" diameter 5' long bar down into the part and drop the ram another 4' into the bore of the turbine housing. We would make sure all the tools were where we thought they needed to be. We would take 4 to 6 hours getting everything in place to take a cut. We would never see the real cut, but would just trust the indicators that we move the amount we thought it should. Once we heard the packing break loose we would stop the machine back out to the set place and then climb inside the part to make sure what we thought we cut was cut. It is nice to see the cut, but sometimes you just have to trust your doing things the right way.

• Like 2

That will really come down to the settings of your planes for your operations and are you allowing for the 1st or 2nd solution solving of the A Axis output values. 1st solution might be A negative and 2nd Solution might be A positive, but then if the Y axis travel is more towards the back of the machine away from the operator then you may have to deal with the only solution being that works. Many things to consider when programming for 5 Axis machines and what we think will work sometimes becomes the opposite of what happens on the machine. End of the day if the part gets cut and it comes out correct then job well done.

I remember having to cut packing out of a 6' id x 12' tall 20 ton turbine housing many years ago. We would stick the 12" diameter 5' long bar down into the part and drop the ram another 4' into the bore of the turbine housing. We would make sure all the tools were where we thought they needed to be. We would take 4 to 6 hours getting everything in place to take a cut. We would never see the real cut, but would just trust the indicators that we move the amount we thought it should. Once we heard the packing break loose we would stop the machine back out to the set place and then climb inside the part to make sure what we thought we cut was cut. It is nice to see the cut, but sometimes you just have to trust your doing things the right way.

Now that is some pucker factor right there!