Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cmm data to surface data

gibbs machine corp

I may have the cart infront of the horse here. We recently purchased a portable cmm (Faro Arm). We have not received the unit yet. I am vaguely familiar with the options for collecting the data. If I understand this correctly, I am going to get a 'cloud' of points. These points can be as tight or loose as I want. What is the best way to convert this data to something I can surface and cut?

[ 01-20-2004, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: gibbs machine corp ]

that's a good question.....can mastercam handle a "cloud of points" or does mastercam require the points to be in a more structured order such as slices or sections of points all sharing a common X or Y axis, for creating a loft surface....coons surfaces might also be created form the points.......i'm also interested in the answer to these questions.

unless you are going to use rev quick or Raindrop geomagic. I wouldn't use point cloud data. I would take points where i needed to to creat planes,lines, arcs, and splines and work from these to creat surfaces. also i would recomend not brining in alot of data at once it can be quite overwelming. i like to use planes as much as possible because you can trim them to each other. check here rev quick

The Ferro is a articulating arm and with out a lazar scanning head attached it is best used to take smaller amounts of points to create your geometry by entities. this will give you the ability to edit those entities instead of dealing with a point cloud. If you intend to interface with Mastercam you will need a driver, Verisurf being the software of choice. Verisurf is built on the Mastercam platform and dose a great job. Check out there web site.

Darryl