Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thoughts on slotting operation in steel

honeybunches

Don't do many odd jobs but trying to help a guy.  He needs some 9/16" wide thru slots cut in some 2" round bars.  Because this is a small one time job, I was going to reach for a smaller cutter and such but I still need to reach 2".  I would also like to minimize the corner rad so a smaller tool is preferred.

Thoughts on the tool selection and path for this?  I would rather not flip the part over but if I do, I am trying to think of an easy way to index the bar for this.  Obviously using a 4th would be best but don't have one with a chuck.  Just wanna throw in a vise and get it done. 

A small corner, 2" thru.......I'm guessing some kind of steel and .062 rads or the sort?

Might as well wrap a $50 around each one and give then back to him.....you're just as likely to break more tooling than the cost of the job  

Just talked to the guy and after nearing what this was, a full radius is much more structurally sound and this is an engineered product with certs and proof test.

So basically we have a 9/16" wide slot, 3.25" long, in 2" A36 bar.....  Only real decision is do I just ramp into this or drill.  The way I look at it, the round surface would need center drilled so 2 ops.  I am leaning towards 1 tool.....

Issue I have is we don't have anything bigger than 3/8" cutters for steels. Only the 3FL Aluminum cutters and I won't even try that.  We have Imco powerfeeds for steels and know they run nice but don't have near enough stick out for that.  Would have to flip. Hmmm.  Time to go dig around in the bin I guess....