Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple passes in contour

So not a Guru

I've never been able to get multiple passes in the contour toolpath to do exactly what I want.

What I most often want is to have one rough toolpath that leaves .005" at the programmed feed rate, then one finish path leaving 0.00" at the override feed rate.

I am using the 0.005" spacing as an example, it could be any distance

But when I select 1 rough path, spaced at .005" & 1 finish pass, spaced as 0.0"; I get two toolpaths spaced at 0.00", the first is at the programmed feed rate & the second is at the override feed rate.

If instead I select 2 rough passes, spaced at .005" & 1 finish path, spaced at 0.00; I get 3 toolpaths the 1st is spaced at .005", the 2nd at 0.00", both at the programmed feed rate; then the last is spaced at 0.00" at the override feed rate, basically a spring pass.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Or is what I want to output just not possible in MC without creating two completely separate operations?

2 ops is easiest

The value in the finish box is how much the rough pass will leave for finish and then the finish is the amount of spacing in finish cut.........

If you tell it 2 passes at .005, it will step over .005 each time to get to zero.......if you tell it [email protected] it will take 2 passes at finish size

it doesn't function in the way that you are trying to use it, it's not designed to do it that way

Guru, use 1 rough pass at .005, 1 finish pass at .005 which will have the override feedrates. 1st pass will be +.005 per side, second pass will be to size.

He's trying to get a free pass around at the override feedrate BB  if I understand the question

Guru, use 1 rough pass at .005, 1 finish pass at .005 which will have the override feedrates. 1st pass will be +.005 per side, second pass will be to size.

Guru, above works, but you don't need a value in spacing cell on rough pass. Only need to put a 1 in the number cell under roughing.

He's trying to get a free pass around at the override feedrate BB  if I understand the question

I thought he was trying to get 1 pass leaving .005 per side, then the next pass to cut to size at override feedrates. Both suggestions I made will do just that, just don't need the .005 in the spacing on the roughing pass.

Did I understand you correctly Guru?

Guru, I made a toolpath with above settings and this is what I get. Is this what you're looking for? Tool mills the OD +.005 per side on1st pass then the next pass cuts OD to size at the override feedrate of 30IPM. The G3's are just the arc on/off I use.

N1T2M6(3/4" CORRO CUTTER)
(RGH THD OD AT B270.)
M01
G0G90G54B270.
G0G90G54X-3.4025Y-1.6825S230M3
G43H2Z10./M8
Z2.95
G1Z2.9F20.
G41D2X-2.99F2.7
G3X-3.515Y-1.1575I-.525J0.
G2I0.J1.1575
G3X-4.04Y-1.6825I0.J-.525
G1G40X-3.6275
X-3.4025Y-1.6775F30.
G41D2X-2.99
G3X-3.515Y-1.1525I-.525J0.
G2I0.J1.1525
G3X-4.04Y-1.6775I0.J-.525
G1G40X-3.6275
G0Z10.
M9
G0G91G30Z0M5
G0G30X0Y0
M01
G100
M30

Guru, above works, but you don't need a value in spacing cell on rough pass. Only need to put a 1 in the number cell under roughing.

This is exactly what I've been wanting! Thank you BB, it is one of those annoyances that I keep running into but don't usually have the time to ask for a solution here.

This is an awesome forum.

• Like 2

Yes you did, thanks again

No problem.

We do a lot of castings and because sometimes the fixture isn't real rigid I'll do multiple radial cuts instead of axial DOC's to whittle it down. If you want a pass at say +.04, 1 at +.005 then 3rd at 0, you would put a 2 in the number cell and .04 in spacing cell under roughing and leave the 1 and .005 under finish.

• Like 2