Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface high speed (spiral rest passes)

cherokeechief79

im trying to finish the inside of a contour that looks just like the id of a giant salad bowl.im trying to use this toolpath thinking I could get a continuous spiral .

ive played with all of the filter and smoothing settings but cant get a decent toolpath using arcs.

I can get a path that ouputs arcs but they are very small .I was hoping for something that would go a whole revolution in one arc.

am I doing something wrong?

this is in ver x9

1 hour ago, cherokeechief79 said:

thanks john ,but cant I still get a complete go2 or 3 with a z move like I can on other toolpaths?

how could I get it to break it into just 2 arcs?

what is making it break into such small arcs?

It's the nature of this toolpath..

When I used to teach I would show people how to use and what it did, then I'd leave them with a "if you find a good use for this path, please let me know because I can get better motion with other paths"

This is one they could remove and for me at least, I'd never miss it...

Sight unseen, I might suggest flowline as an alternative.

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, master80 said:

check arc/filter tolerance 

setting.jpg

I was always a little confused with this page.i usually leave the rounding tol off and play with the slider on the 1st 2 to get arcs to output.

if I slide the filter closer to the line-arc tol does it try to create arcs instead of lines?or is it the other way around?

I think in ver 6 there was a slider that would reduce nc code size.

for me that was easy to understand and get what I wanted.

20% on cut tolerance, 80% Line/Arc.  Line/Arc doesn't care if it's making a line vs an arc; it does what it thinks fits best.  If you want to influence those use "Tighten Line filtering tolerance" or "Tighten Arc filtering tolerance".

So with my settings, what Mcam does is first generate the toolpath at a .00008" tolerance, then run it through the line/arc filter with a .00032" tolerance.  These settings take longer to crunch than what some others use, but I have a pretty fast workstation and my parts are palm sized so it isn't bad, and I find the paths are fairly smooth and not to huge.