Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Floating tap holders

What are you guys using to hold your taps for rigid tapping? I've used floating for that last few years with no problems until yesterday. Crunched a brand new m6x1.0 rollform tapping 6061 T6 3/8 plate. From what I can tell, the tap caught and when the holder ran out of float it broke. I'm relatively new to CNC machining so any tips would be quite useful at this point. 

Thanks

Rigid tapping - Solid holders...

Non-rigid tapping - Floating holders 

Make sure tap drill is the right size for the tap being used, cutting & roll forming have different requirements. 

Make sure position spot, drill & tap are correct.

Check to be certain your depths are correct....

Be sure your coolant is the correct mixture...

If your machine has rigid tapping preparatory codes, make sure they're used...

https://us.bigkaiser.com/products/tapping/mega-synchro-mgt6-mgt12-mgt20.html

We use Big Kaiser MEGA Synchro tapping holders.

This is the best tapping system I have ever used.

Our typical materials are heat resistant alloys, Stainless Steels, Inconels, and the thread form is smooth like glass.

We also use Walter Prototyp taps, but I believe it is the holders that are responsible for the mirror finishes.

Here is a tip.  Most common causes of broken taps are from drilling undersize or not deep enough or chips getting into the holes.  Before tapping the first time,  check the hole diameter and depth with gage pins.  For roll taps it MUST be  the nominal size to the depth the tap is going.