Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

We do a LOT of plunge cutting, nearly every part we make has at least a few plunge cuts. I've been using Ingersoll DHU series insert mills for 1" and up (going about 17-18 IPM in 495B with with about .1XD WOC) and used flat bottom drills for 1/2"-3/4" (similar MMR). They do alright for our purposes, but there's always room for improvement. Any suggestions?

I've already tried using HSM practices just rotating the part off in B axis and cutting with a BNEM, but plunge cutting is faster given that there's no need for A axis indexes, our machines are S L O W 3+2 axis HMCs).

I ran that Seco.  It doesn't do as well in 4140 and like materials.  I also prefer the flat surface the iscar leaves.  I'll run it and leave 0.02in/floor and then there is no semifinish.  It will also face like a mofo and leave a fantastic finish.

That Seco did really good in A36 tho.

18 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

I ran that Seco.  It doesn't do as well in 4140 and like materials.  I also prefer the flat surface the iscar leaves.  I'll run it and leave 0.02in/floor and then there is no semifinish.  It will also face like a mofo and leave a fantastic finish.

That Seco did really good in A36 tho.

That info is good to know, cheers

I'll have to give that Iscar a try. The Ingersoll DHU we've been using leaves a pretty good finish, but I was hoping to find something that can run faster and still leave a reasonable finish.

Features they cut are +/-.015", so accuracy is not as critical, just MMR and a reasonable enough finish that we can shot blast any obvious witness marks out. Use them for cutting the water/swarf grooves on the side of rock drill bits. As everyone here loves to say, "it's not going on the damn space shuttle."

Thanks for the lead!