Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping Paradox

Müřlıń®

Just to clarify, in the tool library on the Okuma OSP control, it does not care what the pitch is. This is purely for graphics and conversational (AOT-IGF). The only time it looks at the pitch is if you are in AOT-IGF. Unfortunately there is no parameter to specify one unit for the pitch/feed and another unit for the rest, except for inverse feed for some reason. Typically when I create a tool in the Easy Modeling I only create a UNC tap and use that for every other tap in that size. No need to create multiple of the same thing, you are only looking for the rotating profile for graphic representation. Then in the tool registry I would simply call it what it really is in the tool comment

9 hours ago, Brad Lisle said:

Just to clarify, in the tool library on the Okuma OSP control, it does not care what the pitch is. This is purely for graphics and conversational (AOT-IGF). The only time it looks at the pitch is if you are in AOT-IGF. Unfortunately there is no parameter to specify one unit for the pitch/feed and another unit for the rest, except for inverse feed for some reason. Typically when I create a tool in the Easy Modeling I only create a UNC tap and use that for every other tap in that size. No need to create multiple of the same thing, you are only looking for the rotating profile for graphic representation. Then in the tool registry I would simply call it what it really is in the tool comment

Well I don't know what to tell you.   There is no such metric pitch as .077.....and if F.077 is not used, the control faults...

And if F1.954 is used for the pitch the control faults.

F.07692 makes a perfect 1/2-13 thread in G284/G21/G95.

Now in G84 it is something completely different...

The control will not fault but the threads will be messed up.

So in order to get this to work with G284/G21/G95 I have to lie to the tool like G-code suggested and after I build the tool in Mastercam in Metric format...

If I bring in a 1/2-13 tap from the inch library into a metric file I get a control definition error and the name for the tap is like a 0.5MM dia tap...

So scale it in metric.

That means a 1/2-13 tap in metric units is defined as 12.7 MM dia with 1.0954 threads per inch. This will end up with a name as 12.7 X .08 MM tap.

However this outputs a F1.0954 after posting and this FAULTS the machine don't ask me why.  because in G21 running G95/G284....1.0954 per rev should be the correct metric value per rev..

But it doesn't want a METRIC value...it wants an INCH value running in G21(metric mode) when tapping imperial threads.

The only way I can get this to work is after the tap is built in metric I just input .07692 in the threads per inch field and then it will not error in Mastercam, and the post will output a F.077.

And the control will not fault....and then I can just use the tap over and over from the library and all is good...