Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Strategy

paulfell

I have a chamfer to do top and bottom of a groove - in image - I have rough highlighted in red. I could scan with the tool i use for the groove, but interested in using 5 axis toolpaths more than I do at the moment. I think I'll manage the top chamfer - using an endmill with 5 Axis swarf toolpath  (have done something similar before). The bottom one, can i scan it using a ballnose on a 5 axis path so ballnose is always approx perpendicular to chamfer plane - and will not hit other areas of the component. Maybe quite simple - but not overly familiar with 5 axis paths - anything to point me in right direction would be appreciated - thanks

5 AXIS SWARF.png

Control lines are also called Vectors. They will control how thew tool moves in relation to the part you are cutting. Think of a line from the surface of the part through the center line of the tool to the spindle. That Vector is the control for the tool and gives you a lot of control, but they are a lot of work sometimes to make.

Another way to do it is use the advanced 5 axis toolpaths and collision avoidance to adjust the motion where need to avoid hitting the part.

Parallel will do just fine here. I used Model Prep to get rid of the holes. I then just used a 6mm ball endmill in a ER-16 sticking out 20mm. Pick the lower edge as the curve. Then pick the surface. No collision avoidance or Control lines needed.

Here is Video of the motion.

2018 Parallel

Here is the 2018 file. Sorry either that or 2017 so I used the latest Software.

2018 Chamfer with Ball Endmill

I also used the extend parameters to have it cut past on the start, end top and bottom.

Here is the Machine sim Video.

2018 Machine Sim Video

• Like 3

thats look just what i'm after - not programming it until later - will have a look then, Just to clarify - I am using Multiaxis Toolpath - then selecting parallel cuts from the Surface/ Solid Menu. Still on x9 - I assume it will work on that ?

Just now, paulfell said:

thats look just what i'm after - not programming it until later - will have a look then, Just to clarify - I am using Multiaxis Toolpath - then selecting parallel cuts from the Surface/ Solid Menu. Still on x9 - I assume it will work on that ?

Yes sir. You can create the edge curve if you don't want to grab the solid edge. I was just using this as an example to show no geometry creation is needed to make the toolpath. I could do the same thing back in X9 with no issue also.

5 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Parallel will do just fine here. I used Model Prep to get rid of the holes. I then just used a 6mm ball endmill in a ER-16 sticking out 20mm. Pick the lower edge as the curve. Then pick the surface. No collision avoidance or Control lines needed.

Here is Video of the motion.

2018 Parallel

Here is the 2018 file. Sorry either that or 2017 so I used the latest Software.

2018 Chamfer with Ball Endmill

I also used the extend parameters to have it cut past on the start, end top and bottom.

Here is the Machine sim Video.

2018 Machine Sim Video

I love to see how you make these 5 axis machines to dance your song Ron... 

That toolpath is probably the best possible way to multi axis that feature... Anyone else noticed how the machine X axis moves as minimum as possible? 

It's a privilege to see you in action Sir! 

I have enclosed file having a go at chamfer top and bottom of this part - I have relly struggled. I can do the chamfers another way - no problem - but would relly like to get more used to 5 axis cycles. The parallel cycle listed in post above is perfect - exactly what I wanted - but struggling to recreate in x9 (how do use curve to control motion as in 2018 ?) .

On the top chamfer - its something like what I want- but angle near either end of chamfer is too severe - how can I control the angle that tool approaches . I have played around with it - but not getting anywhere - any help appreciated?

5 AXIS CHAMFERS.mcx-9