Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis Swarf Limit Y Movements

KBHokie

I'm machining a disk with a 5deg taper along the outside edge out 5 axis.  The machine doesn't allow for any negative y values since the spindle can only reach to the center of the table.

When I do a swarf cut for this outside profile, the code always seems to want to rotate the part 90 degs and work off to the side.  For example the code has the spindle at around X10 and Y0, where I want the spindle at around X0 and Y10. 

The taper of the disk does change so currently the y values goes slightly negative.

Any ideas on how to make this happen.  I've tried the following:

Forcing the primary axis to start at 0

Making the home location X0 Y10

Have you limited the motion of travel with travel limits? Have you tired using a rotated work plane? Many things come to mind, but without a sample file going to be real hard to help narrow it down. What machine and control and version of Mastercam? What Post are you using? Can you bias the output using a mi or mr trigger in the post? Is there a X+ or X- trigger? A- or A+ Trigger? Set a predetermined rotation amount?

I have the limits set in the machine definition and post, is there another place I should set them?  I've tried using a rotated work plane. 

I'm using MasterCam for Solidworks 2017

for the post I'm using the "Generic Fanuc 5X Mill" and configured it for my machine.

How would I set a predetermined rotation amount?

I've attached a simplified version of the part.

TestPart.STEP

11 minutes ago, KBHokie said:

I have the limits set in the machine definition and post, is there another place I should set them?  I've tried using a rotated work plane. 

I'm using MasterCam for Solidworks 2017

for the post I'm using the "Generic Fanuc 5X Mill" and configured it for my machine.

How would I set a predetermined rotation amount?

I've attached a simplified version of the part.

TestPart.STEP

Neither will work with the Generic 5 axis post that post doesn't use them. You will need to control this in the 5 axis operation. I suggest you get a hold of your dealer and get a quote on a 3rd Party post. The Generic Post is a good starting point, but with the limitations of the machine I would consider going to a 3rd Party post that will help you solve a lot of these issues.

That just came in as a Cylinder nothing more than that.