Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

display Form Tool

Ajit

Hi Friends

I try to use form tool in verification process.

I create form tool geometry in mastercam geometry file.

And used this geometry for undefined tool.

use Profile option as Custom.

and choose that form tool geo file.

but

when i try verification tool display as cylider shape not as a form tool shape.

So please help me to how to do this

Thank you

Ajit Patil

Ajit !

In veritication parameters select tool profile as defined

quote:

During verification Mastercam Mill and Router show a solid representation of the tool as it moves through the toolpath. You can set the shape of the tool profile by selecting either Auto or As defined in the Profile section of the Verify Configuration dialog box.

If you select the Auto option, Mastercam Verify will use the tool parameters to display the tool profile.

If you select the As defined option, Mastercam Verify will use the selected MC9 file as the tool's profile. This MC9 file is selected when you set up the tool. The system only scales the MC9 file by the diameter you enter for the tool. If you are using an Undefined tool type, the MC9 file is not scaled. For more information, see About custom tool profiles.

About tools in TrueSolid Turbo mode

Verify does not simulate all tool shapes in TrueSolid Turbo mode. When verifying in TrueSolid Turbo mode, the program simulates the tool shape by extruding it upward from the tool tip. Tools that perform undercutting will not be simulated correctly in TrueSolid Turbo mode. Instead, verify parts that use undercutting tools in TrueSolid mode. An example of a part with undercutting is shown below as verified in TrueSolid (top) and TrueSolid Turbo modes (bottom).

Notes:

¨ The Auto and As defined options correspond to the Profile options on the Define Tool dialog box. For more information, see Defining tool parameters.

¨ If Mastercam cannot build a tool profile due to incorrect tool parameters, a flat endmill displays during verification in all modes except TrueSolid Turbo (which does not display the tool).

¨ If you choose the Display holder option in the Verify Configuration dialog box, Mastercam displays a fixed holder (HOLDER.MC9) that you cannot scale. Also, if Mastercam cannot build the tool profile, the holder does not display.

¨ MC9 files with the tool profile are provided for all of the default tool types in Mastercam. You can create additional MC9 files for other types of tools. See About custom tool profiles for more information.

HTH

ITHH

Thank you sir,

I have got how to display custom shape tool.

But when i create NCI file of that machining operation.

USe this file as as Import NCI file in new file and then try to verify it does not display form tool (Custom profile) rather it showes cylindrical shape tool.

what i should do to display that custom profile tool when i import NCI.

Thank you

Ajit Patil

Use editnci open your nci file select needed operations open parameters and change path to the tool geometry destination . But you may not succeed because of this

quote:

You can import an NCI file created in Mastercam version 6, 7, 8, or 9 and make a toolpath from the file. The imported NCI file does not contain geometry, tool, or toolpath parameter information and cannot be regenerated or batch processed.

Not hurts to try smile.gif

Ps Why You don`t want to save STL of your program verification aND USE IT TO CHECK YOUR OPERATIONS ON THE ORIGINAL PLACE WITHOUT nci IMPORTING ?!?

Iskander teh never say die

rUN VERIFY IN Truesolid mode for all your operations except imported operations

After the verification completment you will see STL icon button active on verify toolbar .

click on it .

Save verification results as STL file.

Now open the file from which you exported NCI.

Select needed operations enter to verify .in verify parameters select stock from file ,select the file you made and run verify.

HTH

You can also make STL from surfaces or solid model

from File ->converters->stl

quote:

Choose Main Menu, File, Converters, STL, Write file. The Specify File Name to Write dialog box opens.

2. Enter a file name or select a file, then choose Save.

3. Enter a value for the triangle (facet)/surface tolerance in the prompt area. Mastercam exports the file. The smaller the tolerance is, the smoother the surface will be.
quote:

The Save STL button in the Verify toolbar saves the part model as an STL (a 3D model) file. The STL file can be used as a stock model in a subsequent verification.

The Save STL option is only available in TrueSolid mode in Mastercam Mill and Router.

1. Choose Verify from the Operations Manager or choose Main Menu, NC utils, Verify

2. Choose Machine to run verification.

3. Choose the STL button on the Verify toolbar.

4. Enter a name for the STL file and choose Save.

HTH

ITHH

A cigarette and a good cup of coffee that`s what I need now

Dear sir,

I want to see that form tool (custom profile tool) in animation ie verification time. so that i can get true machined solid as per form tool which is used to nci file.

In nci file only

0 1. 0. 0 1 0. 0. 0. 3 C:MCAM8MILLTOOLSC04-3.MC8

only available

thank you.

Ajit

Ajit !

Open editnci C-hook

Select your imported nci file .select needed operations

Click on parameters ,click on ON

In tool reference write a name of your custom tool drawing like

C:MCAM9MILLTOOLSmycustomtool.MC9

click on done

Cilck on file->save to save your edited NCI

Try to do it curse.gif

Iskander,

quote:

You can import an NCI file created in Mastercam version

6, 7, 8, or 9 and make a toolpath from the file.

The imported NCI file does not contain geometry, tool,

or toolpath parameter information and cannot be regenerated

or batch processed.

What I did to solve this problem, was to create a toolpath using the same tool in v9, then 'cut and paste' header information from the v9 file to the older version file. This allowed me to do what I needed to do.

I have tried to "runold" but not as sucessful as 'cut and paste'. Also, the allows for the chook "editnci" (which use to NOT be a chook--and why is that?). cuckoo.gif

I use this chook on several occassions and wish it were back into the programs.

Sir,

I have not get what u mean by stl file.

And i think it is not useful for me.

I just want to use custom tool for animation and verification purpose when we read NCI file. I am writting nci file throug my other program depending upon operation. And i want to user verify this file in mastercam and do some modification (using editnci.dll) as per his requirement .

Thanks

Ajit

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

which use to NOT be a chook--and why is that?

I would venture to say that it's been relegated to C-Hook status because it's not commonly used anymore - just a guess. I've used it about 3x in the last 5 years. It's nice to have it there when you need it but I don't know that it needed to be part of an already large executable.

JM2C

Well, James, I use it about 3-5 times a month. I program for several machines and most of the times it is easier to rotate in editnci for a particular setup in a machine. Or if I want to translate and/or reverse operation outside the "natural" toolpath. Or if I lied to Mastercam and use one size cutter to generate the toolpath and another to cut it. For example, cutting a blow mold cavity with 1/2 BEM and then using same file to cut trim nest with a 7/16 BEM. Why do a cutter path twice, when one will suffice by using editnci c'hook.

Just a thought biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

James sir,

I could not get what you r saying.

Dear Mr.Ajit ,Sir !

Sir James means that before ,in ver 6 for example

EditNCI was a command inside menu ,smthn like

NC. utils->editnci .

It was the only way to edit nci file ,cause

there were no associativity between toolpath and toolpath parameters frown.gif

Now it downgraded to the C-hook ,cause except rare occasions you don`t need it .

You can now rotate your geometry and make regen,

As you probably know ,honorable Sir, even in ver7 there were no associativity for surface toolpathes .

Full associativity is a ver8 feature .

BTW import nci is not an associated toolpath ,thus only changes to it you can make with editNCI or editing the file by hand ,that was also mentioned by one of the honorable forum members .

Iskander teh Owl ,esquire.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Code,

I'm not saying it shoudl disappear alltogether - heavens no. I was just guessing as to why it was taken off the NC Utils menu and executable. If you want, you can ALWAYS put it back by editing the .txt file as shown below.

code:

[nc utils]

menu 1 {"NC Utilities:", "&Verify", "&Backplot", "Batc&h", "&Filter",

"&Post proc", "&Setup sheet", "Def. &ops", "Def. &tools",

"Def. &matls", "&Editnci*"}

HTH

Ajit !

I found a WORKING METHOD FOR YOU !

I checked today and it workes here .

cREATE a custom tool drawing with real dimensions for your tool .

in your original file in tools parameters in tool file name parameter click on select and select it ,click ok and make nci file .

Import it to your target file and you must see a verification with real tool .

I checked it today a couple of times and it workes here .

I see the right tooling smile.gif

PS it workes in my computer even without it ,as it is ,I see the right tools without such tricks .

Check if your pass to tools directory is right if you copy NCI files from computer to computer or from version to version ,check if the tools with such names ,as you see in tool file name exist !