Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extrending the start / end of contour, Wire EDM

Scott Lent

Greetings,

We now have a Wire EDM seat and I've been trying to get the hang of it.

So, I've got a block in which I'm cutting an arc off of on just one side. I've got a model in which I'd like to chain the arc (and only the arc) to create the toolpath, and I would like to extend the toolpath a little beyond the stock at both ends of the open contour. I am accustomed to being able to adjust the start and end of a contour in the Lead In / Out parameter in MasterCam Mill.  I can't see how you can accomplish this in EDM.

My workaround has been to project the contour line above the part, extend it on both ends a suitable distance, and chain it. Simple enough, but I was just wondering if there was a way to simply extend the start and end points on an open chain as you can in mill.

16 hours ago, Scott Lent said:

Greetings,

So, I've got a block in which I'm cutting an arc off of on just one side. I've got a model in which I'd like to chain the arc (and only the arc) to create the toolpath, and I would like to extend the toolpath a little beyond the stock at both ends of the open contour. I am accustomed to being able to adjust the start and end of a contour in the Lead In / Out parameter in MasterCam Mill.  I can't see how you can accomplish this in EDM.

My workaround has been to project the contour line above the part, extend it on both ends a suitable distance, and chain it. Simple enough, but I was just wondering if there was a way to simply extend the start and end points on an open chain as you can in mill.

Just extend the arc .050 on each end and place thread pt and cut point .050 from where you extended arc

On 7/5/2017 at 6:12 PM, Scott Lent said:

Greetings,

Here is another useful tip. 

Overlap specified length - Wire.docx